Toy Story 3: Toy Story's Darkest Hour

Fans have come up with all kinds of interpretations of the Toy Story movies. The theory started by film critic Jordan Hoffman that Toy Story 3 is a metaphor for the holocaust may be the darkest yet. For starters, the toys spend a chunk of the film expressing hopes to hide away from the realities of the changing world in a dusty attic.

As Woody and pals view the attic as a means to escape being carted off against their will, some perceive this to be a reference to Anne Frank. She spent the final section of her young life hiding in an attic with her family to avoid certain death at the hands of the Nazis.

Next, the toys are shipped off to Sunnyside Daycare, which supposedly serves as the movie's concentration camp. The parallels are certainly there. With a harsh dictatorship clearly at play, violent coercion at the command of Lotso Huggins is commonplace.

The toys even come close to destruction in an incinerator toward the end, a demise disturbingly similar to the violent deaths many Jewish people met during the Holocaust.

While it seems like unusual subject-matter for a kids' film, other classics like Star Wars drew direct inspiration from the Nazi regime, so perhaps it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.