The Lion King: Nala Used Simba

The theory that Nala did not actually love Simba when they originally reunited stems from a deleted scene in which Scar declares that he wants Nala to be his queen. The way the theory goes is Scar demanded that Nala be his queen and she rejected him. She ended up either running away or being exiled, which is when she ran into Simba. She wasn’t out hunting for food, nor was she looking for help. She had nowhere to go and she knew she needed protection. So her submission to Simba is not driven by the love she has for him, but rather the knowledge that she would need him if she had any hope of surviving. She also realized that if she could convince him to return and take his place as king, then she would be able to return to Pride Rock as well without having to be Scar’s queen.

This actually seems very believable. First of all, the last time she saw Simba was when she was a cub. She wouldn’t likely feel like she was in love with him after all that time. And if she did feel a sense of love for him, it would have been (as the theory states) as a political being and savior rather than as a mate. This theory hurts a bit because it makes us wonder whether Nala ever actually fell in love with him. Or has their entire relationship been a lie? For Simba’s sake, we sure hope that she did actually fall in love with him because he sure did love her.