The First Day

Holly woke up to the blaring of her alarm.  Was it really already 6 she wondered?  She rolled over in bed to check her phone.  She had 3 new messages all from her best friends back home.  They all said pretty much the same thing; have a good first day don’t let the locals scare you.  She replied to them all with a thanks and haha.  She got out of bed and walked to her bathroom   She did her normal morning routine: brush teeth, wash face, put makeup on, do hair.  Then she went to her closet and decided what to wear.  She knew she would need a piece of home to get her through this day.  Cowboy boots or her favorite sweater.  She decided to go for the more subtle choice and slipped the sweater on over her t-shirt and jeans.  She grabbed her sandals, ipad, phone, and backpack.  She took one last look in the mirror before heading downstairs for a cup of tea and some breakfast.  Her mom had made her favorite, cinnamon toast, she sat down at the counter with her cup of tea and toast and went through the social media rounds: instagram, twitter, snapchat, and then facebook.  She only had a facebook to keep up with her family.  All off her friends used instagram and twitter.  Nothing exciting had happened in the past nine hours or so.  She slipped her phone into her bag and cleaned her cup and put it in the dishwasher.  She said goodbye to her mom and headed out the door.  She plugged the school address into her gps.  She did not want to get lost on the first day of school.  She cranked up her music and made her way to school.  She pulled into the parking lot and noticed the only car that was out of place.  It wasn’t really a car but a truck.  The kind of truck she would have seen back home.  Lifted, KC lights, gun rack the whole country works.  “I guess I’m not the only country girl,” she said out loud.  Then she realized it was a boy’s truck because out stepped the most gorgeous boy she had ever seen.  He was probably 6 foot, red brown hair with some blonde, varsity jacket over a simple pair of jeans and a white tee.  He was like a gift from God.  Then she realized she wasn’t the only one who thought so because the next thing she knew a brunette was locking lips with him right in the quad.  They were total polar opposites.  She was primped and polished and looked like she would scream at the sight of mud.  Holly knew what she had to do.  She would have to make sure to separate them.  Any good country boy needs an even better country girl by his side.  Holly made it to the main office and talked to the nice receptionist.  She made her way to her locker and then to homeroom.  She walked in just as the bell rang and the only seat was next to the country boy.  She sat down and he leaned over and asked, “I’ve never seen you around. Are you new?”

“What gave it away?”

“Just the fact that you’re not dressed likes all the rest of girls.”

“Is that good or bad?”

“It’s refreshing.  My name is Mason incase you were wondering. “

“I wasn’t.   Mine name is Holly if you wanted to know”

“Wow! No need to be rude! Where are from?  I can hear an accent and I know it isn’t from around here?”

“I just moved from Georgia”

“I thought I heard that Southern drawl.  I was born there and moved when I was about 10.”

“So you must know what it’s like being the new kid”

“Yah, just stick with me and I can show you around.”

“I don’t know if that’s such a good idea.  I saw you with your girlfriend this morning.  I wasn’t stalking you or anything.  It’s just you guys were making out in the middle of the quad.”