Ch 8: Scream Fortress

*Your POV*

Getting Scout set up to play Team Fortress 2 didn't take too long. You had a decently powerful gaming laptop that he could use to play with you, and you had a spare pair of headphones that he could use for voice chat. Getting an account on Steam set up for him was rather easy too. It did take a while to come up for a user name for him though.

 At first Scout just wanted to go by the username Scout. You were able to talk him into having a slightly more complicated name than that. Ultimately, he ended up going with the name The Time Traveling Scout. It was mostly an inside joke dealing with the fact that Scout was technically a time traveler due to coming from the year of 1968. It would probably seem like a bit of a weird name to other players, but wacky user names on TF2 was pretty normal so people would probably shrug it off.

After getting his account set up you also made sure that he became your friend on Steam. Once that was accomplished you finally started up the game for him. Upon getting the game started up the Scream Fortress song, Haunted, started playing from the speakers, and there on the menu was a zombie Heavy that was clearly showing off the Voodoo-Cursed Soul cosmetic item.

"I guess they started up Scream Fortress today." You commented.

"Scream Fortress?" Scout said slowly.

"It's what we call the Halloween event," You explained. "When Scream Fortress is going on you can wear cosmetics that can only be worn during Scream Fortress, or during the Full Moon. There are also a bunch Halloween themed maps that you can play though, and a bunch of contracts that you can complete to get cosmetic items."

"Sounds fun," Scout said.

"It is," You confirmed. "It's one of the best times of the year for tf2 if you were to ask some people."

You paused for a moment as you said "Well, this means you will be getting a soul gargoyle today."

"A what?"

"A soul gargoyle," You repeated. "It's like this stone gargoyle that collects the souls of the guys you kill in the game. Get enough souls, and it levels up to look fancier and have a cooler title connected to it. With that said it's just there to use during Scream Fortress to take another roll at getting a cool cosmetic item. If you got a few copies of one item, or have an item you don't want you can use the items with the soul gargoyle to hopefully get a cosmetic item that you would actually want."

The blank look that Scout was giving you at the moment made it clear that he had no idea what the heck you were going on about.

"Merasmus not give you guys some soul gargoyles yet?"

"Uh, no." Was Scout's rather quick answer to that. "Last time that guy had us do anything for him we were running around killing a bunch of guys who were trying to kill us in this stupid carnival that Merasmus built for some clown god named Bozo or something like that."

It took a minute for what Scout said to really sink in. You knew what he was talking about. Heck, you read the comic of how Merasmus built the evil circus. With that said sometimes it was easy to believe that this living breathing person who was sitting beside you had actually lived through these insane things. Once you got over your surprise you quickly said "Well, sooner or later he will give your team some soul gargoyles I guess?"

"You guess?" Scout said.

"I don't know," You shrugged. "The explanation in game is that he gave them to the players. Going off that it is probably safe to assume that means he will give your team some too."

Scout nodded, and said "Makes sense I guess. Probably gave it to use because he started up another stupid magic plan or whatever."

'Oh, you have no idea how right you are,' You thought.