Chapter 1

Life was boring for Mac Griffin, who is a small light brown-haired 8 year old little boy living in a small gray apartment located in Springfield, Massachusetts.

His mom Wendy Griffin, is long-time single mother and manager of a local bank called New Valley Bank and Trust.

His brother Terrence Griffin, is a big time jerk and bully of a 14 year old brother.

However, when school season starts, he gets less harassed from him and only has to deal with him every once a while at night.

Although he liked school a lot better than being at home, he still gets the feeling that he is still alone.

Even since Kindergarten, he has always been one of the typical, quiet kids who still couldn't make friends.

Now, it was 3rd grade and nothing hasn't changed for him yet.

One day, his mother came home to check on her two sons.

She opened the door and sees Terrence first, who always tries to suck up to her just so he can hang out with some friends.

He looked like a typical teenager except, he has a bad case of acne with a mullet hairstyle and was wearing a ripped plaid flannel with jeans.

"Hey mom. I watched Mac for you and I did all of my homework and studied and clean up the place and...." Terrence rambled until he got interrupted.

"Ugh. Let me guess? you want to hang out with some friends? That's fine you can go. Its Friday and I know that you're bored being stuck at the house all week. Here, I'll give you $20. That should be enough for food, drinks, and snacks if you need them. Don't waste it all on junk okay? I love you. I want you back here around no later than 10pm, alright?" Wendy asked her son.

"Yes ma'am, I promise. Bye, mom love you." Terrence said quickly as he walked out of the door and heads to his usual hangout spot.

"That boy is just like his father, always has to go somewhere." Wendy said to herself shaking her head as she closed the front door behind him and went to Mac's room to check on him.

"Mac, you doing okay sweetie?" She asked, knocking on the closed room door.

She then, opens the door and sees Mac reading comic books.

She sat on the edge of the bed and rubs his head lightly.

"Hey buddy, how's school?" She asked.

"Eh, it was great as usual." Mac said bluntly while reading his comic.

"Well, have you made any friends yet?" She asked.

"Nah, there's no one really, who wants to hang out with me." Mac said shrugging his shoulders.

"Why not?" She asked in concern.

"I'm just not good at making friends." Mac said sadly.

"Well, I don't know if this will help but I do know a way for you to make a friend, if you're interested" she suggested with a smile.

"Yeah what's that?" Mac asked.

"My company for many years has been able to fundraise charities and programs to help benefit the kids. Every employee and their family members is given a chance to do so much for them. One of them includes a program called the Pen Pal program. Every participant can connect to a a child who doesn't have any family at all from a nearby orphanage and write letters to them. Usually, the letters come from adults and gets sent to the kids twice a month but, since I am giving you parental consent, you can write to him/her every day if you want. So, what do you think?" She asked.