Chapter 11

When Mac walked a bit closer, Jay then decided to smile off his worries in hopes that they can still be on good terms for a little while longer until he was finally ready to tell him the truth.

"Hey, so how did it go with your boss?" Jay asked curiously while attempting to hide the intense anxiety in his tone. 

Thankfully, Mac was too excited with their charity run to notice any of it.

"It was great. I told him what we wanted to do for the kids, and he actually liked the idea of setting the whole thing up in the boardwalk. He's even willing to donate enough money just so that he can make sure that this plan pulls through too." Mac said in a very enthusiastic tone.

"That's awesome. Frankie would love to hear that she'll have more sponsors for the event." Jay said with a now more laid-back smile on his face.

He can instantly feel a warm rush of blush running across his face while he watches Mac make a similar expression within the peaceful silence that the two share together.

Even now, when they were nowhere near anyone, it would still be difficult for Jay to break the news to Mac so, he tries to think if there was any other way to ease up on the heaviness of the whole thing by having them go somewhere that would make both the most happiest.

But where exactly would that place be was the question as the two's still silence continued to carry on until Jay finally spoke up.

"Say, do you want to get out of here and grab a bite to eat? We didn't get a chance to eat breakfast yet." Jay offered as Mac slowly nodded his head in agreement.

"Sure. That would be great. Are we going to the same restaurant?" Mac asked curiously, referring to the burger joint that the two had just went a couple of days ago.

"Nah, I think I know a better place than that. Come on, it's not that far from here." Jay said while the two walked out of the orphanage center and onto the sidewalks as they head over to a nearby diner in town.

One that would certainty feel more nostalgic and closer to home. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When they got there, the two opened the front door and both smiled in awe.

Jay then looked over at Mac's bright face and sees that it was definitely a better place.

The joint was called Four Sister's Owl Diner and it's all classic 50's diner with swivel seats, bar tables and familiar cushion-like booths.

The two walked over and took a seat in one of the booth areas nearby.

They then looked at a menu for a brief moment before a waitress came by their table for their order.

"Hi there. My name Beatrice and I'll be serving you today. Is there anything that I can get you to drink?" The waitress asked, politely.

"I'll have a large strawberry milkshake please." Jay answered as Mac looked over at him and smiled warmly.

Heh, sounds like something that Bloo would get when he's over at a place like this.

Mac wondered for a small moment until the waitress suddenly interrupted him.

"And for you?" Beatrice asked as Mac, who was distracted from his thoughts, fumbled out for a response.

"Oh! I'll...have the same thing." Mac answered before looking over at Jay, who laughed at his silly daydreaming.

"Alrighty then, I'll be right back with those." Beatrice confirmed before leaving them be to go get the orders.

"So, what do you think?" Jay asked rhetorically

"I like it. It's nice and very nostalgic." Mac said, complimenting the place.

"I figured because last time I took you somewhere, you didn't seem to like it until I was able to convince you to eat the burgers there." Jay noted as Mac quickly changed expressions, feeling bad for the mixup of his reactions.

"Oh n...no! It's not like that, at all. I just wished I was able to eat out at a place that reminded me of home. And this is actually what I had in mind." Mac explained rapidly, hoping to reassure him, otherwise.

"That's okay. As long as you like it here, then it's fine by me." Jay said with a small grin on his face as they continued to chat in small talks until the waitress came back and placed the two milkshakes on the table.

To which looked bigger than either of them had anticipated with lots of whip cream and strawberries to scoop around in the ice-cream blended treats.

"Alrighty, here you go. Is there anything else I can get you?" Beatrice asked the two as they looked at each other for the moment before answering all at once.

With both having the same idea in mind. 

"Fries!" Mac and Jay yelled out while the waitress jumped a little and started to giggle at them.

"Oh my? Aren't we hungry today? What sizes?" Beatrice asked.

"Two baskets, please." Mac informed, specifically.

"Okay. I'll have them out for you in a minute then." Beatrice said before walking over to the kitchen to wait.

Not long afterwards, Jay started to laugh a little from their unexpected response.

"Pfft." Jay chuckled.

"What?" Mac asked, confused with familiar giggling in his tone.

"Nothing, I just didn't think that we ended up ordering the same thing." Jay noted.

"Or how big these shakes were going to be. I mean come in, who going to eat all of it?" Mac asked curiously.

"I don't know. Think you can share one with me?" Jay asked in a teasing manner.

"Haha. Yeah, right. I won't be able to share nothing. Not even a single piece of chocolate without getting my hands on it, first." Mac replied with a laugh.

"Well that makes two of us then. Because I for one, ain't sharing no way. You'll have to get past me before you can get ahold of my milkshake." Jay said in a playful tone.

"Oh, you wanna bet? Alright, but I'll have to warn you though. I can be pretty vicious when it comes to sugar consumption. Once I drink this down, nothing will stop me." Mac said in a similar tone to him.

"Bring it on then. I'd like a good challenge." Jay said, confidently.

"Okay. First one to finish off their shake, gets to pay for the next lunch." Mac suggested. 

"You're on." Jay said competitively as the two carry on in their silly bet and laughed on for the remainder of time before finishing off their lunch with two orders of basket fries in their hands.

Meanwhile a random individual walks over and plays a classic tune on the restaurant jukebox.

*Author's note: play music at this time.