Chapter 10

18 years ago, Mac, who was more than excited to talk to his pen pal Bloo, opened up his computer right after school and clicked on his email to see if he was available to talk.

It was on the day before Mac's birthday and what better present he wanted than to finally  meet his pen pal for the first time in a place where both could make memories together.

After he logged in, he started typing up the first draft of his email to him.

And this time since the two were already good friends and comfortable around each other, he decide to make his email conversation informal and quick.

Hey Bloo. I was wondering if we could meet up at the Cape Cod Boardwalk for my birthday tomorrow. I want to be able to see you in person.

Mac stated before sending out his email.

When it was received and read, Bloo typed back his reply.

I wouldn't miss it for the world and yes, I would like to see you in person too. It does get kinda of lonely around here with us only using letters and e-mails to communicate.

Bloo said with a half smile across his face while sending his email over to Mac.

And as soon as Mac's notification dinged, he leaped in joy while reading the new message and quickly typed up his next response.

That's awesome! But...are you sure that you're able to go? How strict are the rules over there at the orphanage?

Mac asked within his drafted message before sending it.

Not long later after Bloo read it, he replied.

It's no problem at all. They usually don't care where I go as long as I'm back home at 9:00. Plus, your birthday's tomorrow isn't it? I wouldn't miss it even if I have to end up sneaking out of that place as long as I get to hang out with you.

Bloo said with a cheery smile so bright, it made his rainy days shine again and sent the message on over.

When Mac received it, he was happy and excited as he sends out the last email of that day to him.

Cool! I'll see you then. :)

The short response said as he sends it over.

And when Bloo sees it, he laughs while replying in a familiar phrase.

See ya. :)

From there, the two spent the rest of the night, wide awake and hyped up for the adventure of their young lives.

And then...the next day came.

But... it wasn't what neither had expected to happen.

Just as Mac described it.

The rest of the incident was a blur with only Mac receiving a letter and a paddleball for his birthday as a final goodbye while Bloo was surprised with a sudden adoption by a couple who was more than happy to care for him on that very same day.

Both were sadden by their own versions of their farewell and the rest of their childhood became history.

————————————————————————

Back in the present, the two stood still while Mac wrapped up the rest of his story, that was unawarely THEIR story.

"...and I never heard from him again" Mac said sadly as Jay looked down at the ground, his face burning up quickly in guilt.

He didn't know what to do without putting him in any more pain.

If he told him the truth now, he'll hate him.

But.....

If he decides to wait longer....

He hate him even more.

Maybe up to the point where he might not even forgive him and leaves out of his life once more.

He ponders over the pros and cons of that fateful decision in his mind while responding to this in a more subtle tone.

"I'm... I'm sorry that happened to you." Jay said softly without lifting his head up to glance at him.

"It's not a big deal. I just wished that he would have least told me sooner that he was leaving. And now....I don't even know if I can even find him. I guess... maybe this search was a bad idea after all." Mac said in a very obvious pained voice while rubbing his arm.

Jay immediately looked up at him in a panic, and took his arm gently close to him.

"N..no! You don't have to give up now just because the past is still hurting. He's got to be out there somewhere. I know he is. A..and before you know it, if you look out there far enough, he'll be right there in front of you." Jay pleaded while locking eyes with Mac, who was now more surprised by his rapid response.

"You really think so?" Mac asked, confused.

He didn't know what to say or how to question Jay's ongoing encouragement for finding Bloo but for now, he simply went along with it and was at least grateful that he was kind enough to be a part of this journey in his search for him.

"Okay. I'll keep trying then. Thanks." Mac said with a smile.

"You're welcome and if you ever need me, I'll be there every step of the way." Jay said with a familiar expression as the two continued to look at each other in a warmth glow with both blushing slightly.

Their silence went on for a moment until Mac's phone suddenly rang as he glanced at it from his pocket and spoke up.

"Oh hold on a second. I got to take this call. It's from my boss in New York." Mac said while pulling out his phone.

"Sure, no problem. Go ahead, I'll be here when you get done." Jay insisted.

"Thanks." Mac said as he opened up and press the green phone button to answer it.

"Hello?" Mac asked causally over the phone as he walked on down a little further to discuss his plans with the company boss while
Jay looked on at him with his smile reducing to a half grin in a longing stare until he heard someone from behind.

"Does he know that you're Bloo?" The voice asked.

Jay suddenly jolted in response and turn to see that it was Wilt, who was leaning against the corner of the wall beside them.

He didn't how much he heard but, it could of been for a while.

Possibly even the whole time.

"How long have you been listening?" Jay asked in a soft mumble.

"At some point, you're gonna have to tell him you can't keep doing this him much longer. It'll only hurt him more." Wilt added without answering his question.

"You know I can't do that. I'll lose him. And even if I do tell him...what good would that do? He'll just end up walking out of my life the minute that he sees me as a liar and his long lost pen pal who only spent half of his life fading into the crowd rather than taking the time to search for him. Just like....he's doing right now for me..." Jay said sadly while Wilt looked over at him and felt sorry for him.

He then placed a hand on his shoulder and tried to reassure him in advice.

"I understand what you're going through. But that doesn't mean that you have to lead him on in this meaningless search either. The sooner he learns the truth, the less painful it'll be." Wilt advised just as Mac hung up the phone and turned to Jay.

"Jay!" Mac called out from afar while heading towards him.

"I'll let you guys get back to it. But just remember what I said and everything will be okay. You got this." Wilt said with a smile as he waved goodbye and walked off just in time for Mac to follow up close to Jay within seconds later.

As Jay watches Wilt disappear from a distance, he thought about what he had just said and hopes that he might be able to find a way to tell him the truth.

Before it all fall apart on him.