Chapter Ten~~ The Best Way to Say Goodybye

~~~~~~~***********~~~~~~~

Chapter Ten~~ The Best Way To Say Goodbye

~~~~~~~***********~~~~~~~

Hunter

~~~~~~~***********~~~~~~~

I woke with a start. I looked around my cabin.

"Frankie? Elise? Are you here?" My voice sounded tired and weak.

I hated being weak.

"Frankie! Elise! Please answer me!" No one said anything. A couple of my siblings looked over at me with sorrow in their eyes. As I looked around, something hit me. Every single one of us lost someone who was very close to us. I freaked out.

"Dean! Dean answer me!" My voice rang out as I cried for my sister.

"Hunter, I'm here. I'm here for you. I will never let you go." Dean came running over to me and hugged me. She kept whispering sweet nothings and rubbed my back in a comforting way. I willed myself to hold everything in.

Yet as much as I tried to hold it all in, it couldn't be contained. I had been strong for to long, and it was time to let everything out. I cried and cried until my throat hurt. Until my voice had gone from strong to raspy. By the time my tears would no longer come out, Dean's shirt was soaked.She saw my gaze and smiled weakly.

"It's okay Hunt. It's just a shirt." I nodded and hiccuped. She stood and helped me off of my bed and continued to hug me, even harder than before. Jason was talking to Riley about something, but I couldn't hear, not over me breathing so heavily.

I closed my eyes and tried to stop. I eventually did and Dean and I sat back down onto my bed. Jason cleared his throat and we all looked over at him.

"Today, is a grieving day. Today, is when we say goodbye to our loved ones, our family, our friends. Today is when we wish them good luck once they get to the Underworld. It is the day when we say goodbye to the ones who died in this war."

Today is a grieving day. We would be burying the people who died in this stupid war. Even Mr. D, who I thought didn't care about any of us, was trying his best not to cry. I didn't know why he was doing that until he burned a shroud for his youngest daughter.

"I can't take this. I need to get out of here!" These thoughts have been swarming in and out of my head for hours. I decided to listen to them and walked away from the burnings and burying.

As I walk, I think of everything that has happened in these past few months.

"Why? Why does stupid crap like this always happen to us? Why can't we ever get a freaking break?!" I met friends, and I lost them. Just like that one day. I realized who my real friends were, and I lost them, just like that.

"It's because we're demigods. We can never get a break." I looked up and saw Bradley. I gave him a weak smile."It seems that you always see me when I'm in a vulnerable state." He pulled me into a hug that I was not expecting. My arms hung limp by my sides.

"If you want, you can cry."

"I'm not going to cry." But even as I said that, a tear fell like the traitor it was.

"Lier. I told you, I'm good at these things."

"Can you let me go?"

"Yeah." He let me go. I felt my knees weaken and I crumpled to the ground. The grass and dirt. I hated it. I hated her.

Gaea.

She was the source of my pain. She was the mother of these monsters. She killed all of these great people. My friends, my family.