004 | the whereabouts of reiner

a few moments after the muffled voices ceased, there came a new sound - one from the tent being unzipped

though your eyes had been long shut, the cool night breeze beginning to seep into the make-shift quarters made it unmistakable.

quiet rustling filled the tent as pieck and zeke settled into their sleeping bags, obviously being cautious not to 'wake' you.

little did they know, you were laying next to them, planning just how you were going to escape from the tent with the two of them mere inches away.

the sound of pieck flopping down filled the silence, forcing a flinch out of you at the sudden noise. you could hear her shuffling around now, trying to get comfortable in the small sleeping bag. not a few moments later and she had already dozed off; soft snores filling the small space.

zeke was harder to read. though you had heard him enter the tent with pieck, not a sound had left his corner since she plopped down. it wasn't like you could risk sitting up - you grimaced at the mere thought of opening your eyes and being met with his cold stare.

you'd just have to wait it out...

it was hard to tell how much time had passed. reality seemed to fade into nothingness in the darkness, as your eyes played tricks on you, forcing lights to dance over your closed eyelids, though you knew nothing was really there.

slowly, you reached one trembling hand out of your sleeping bad, silently feeling around for the blazer you had discarded earlier. it was too risky to take anything else, you couldn't take the chance of waking the others. you had to grab the map and run.

finally, you heard it...a soft sound, but none the less a signal that zeke had fallen asleep. it was more comparable to a cloud being split in two, proof of the years of gruelling training he had been through in the warriors regiment - imperative not to make a sound that could rouse the enemy.

if you were about to doze off there was no way you would have heard it, but luckily you were wide awake. the heaving sound of pressure suffocating his sleeping bag filled the tent as he laid down, supporting your theory that he had been sat up before, just waiting to catch you in the act of escaping.

you knew it was just a matter of time before he fell asleep...give it 20 minutes, that should be enough time. even if he were still awake when you fled the tent, there was no way he could keep up with you in his titan form, after all, it's main purpose was climbing. he stood no chance in running after you.

-

you had no idea how much time had passed, seconds felt like hours, every thought making you regret your decision and urging you to just go back to sleep.