008 | betrayal

"what's wrong with the two of you?" you asked, laughing awkwardly as you tried to lighten the situation

"what's wrong with the two of you?" you asked, laughing awkwardly as you tried to lighten the situation. "aren't you happy to see me?"

the two looked at you with dread, faces plagued with an emotion you could only describe as utter despair.

"what are you doing here?" reiner asked, looking around sceptically as though he was being watched.

you couldn't think of an answer, trying to conjure the best excuse for suddenly appearing in a foreign land.

"i wanted to see you." you finally said, after a minute of silence. "i've missed the two of you."

"we've missed you too." bertholdt replied, stepping forward and pulling you into a side hug.

you were a little taken aback - it was unlike him to express emotions like this, but you hugged him back, turning so that you were nestled into his chest.

the two of you stayed like that for a while, embracing the familiarity of each others touch. when you finally let go, reiner was staring at you, an unfamiliar look on his face that seemed to resemble both sadness and anger.

"so, where are marcel and annie?" you asked, enthusiasm noticeable in your voice as you said your old friends names.

there was no response to your question, instead bertholdt left your side to stand next to reiner, and the two exchanged a look - the same one that pieck and zeke had given each other a few days prior.

just as you were about to repeat yourself, a brunet appeared at reiner's side and you watched as he playfully punched him on the shoulder. reiner laughed and put him into a headlock, ruffling the shorter boy's hair.

his demeanour had completely changed from that of a few minutes ago, and from the look bertholdt was giving him, one of despair, you could only assume that this personality change was a common occurrence.

"y/n!" armin's voice sounded from behind, and you turned to see him jogging towards the small group of you that had gathered, panting slightly as if he was out of breath.

"i've been looking for you." he continued as he came to a halt beside you. armin glanced around until his eyes settled on reiner and bertholdt. "i'm glad to see the two of you are alright." he smiled.

"why wouldn't we be?" reiner replied sarcastically, flashing the blonde a cocky smile. "those titans didn't stand a chance against us!"

"what happened to your arm?" you asked, eying the makeshift cast it had been put in.

"it's nothing." he answered. "barely anything more than a scratch."