Chapter 6: the one with all the attention

The picture above is what Marco looks like.
________________________

The traffic was surprisingly never a problem for Marco. Some would say that this guy was born to drive. To be clear, by 'some', I mean everyone.

Marco reached Cafe-Alt in record time, making up for arriving late. Connor was sitting cross-legged at an empty table facing the door. I wasn't sure how I was going to survive my best friend giving me the "look" that screamed you-broke-your-promise and how-could-you?.

Marco popped the last fry in his mouth and tossed the paper plate in a nearby trashcan. "Delicious!" Marco licked his fingers and tapped his tummy. He grunted in satisfaction.

Marco swiftly came around with my bags in hand. He waited for me to open the door, but I just stared at the sight of my best friend across the transparent glass door window.

Marco chuckled and I turned around to face him. "What is so funny?" I ask.

"You, like that, is just hilarious. Common in. It's just Connor. How upset could he be? Specially when that person is you." I considered his words and weighed my chances. "You're right! I can do this."

I turn around again and push the door open. I keep a pleasant smile and nod in the staff's direction. "How is everyone doing? I'm back, it seems."

Danica wrinkled her nose in disgust at my appearance. It seems we both wore the exact same blue turquoise dress design. "What are the odds?" I accidentally spoke aloud. The entire staff stared at us, quickly registering the twin-like appearance.

"Anna." Dylan stood up and took two strides in my direction. "Thank heavens you are alright!" Dylan clasped his strong muscular arms around me in a tight brotherly-like hug. "I was so worried something had happened to you. Why haven't you been answering your phone?" And, that's when it clicked. My phone! Where is it? It hadn't ringed or beeped insanely like its usual self. "Anna, what's wrong?" Oh shit! It must have dropped on Dylan's floor when he, umm looked absolutely scrumptious leaning back on that rocking chair and his flawless abdomen was accentuated by the blazing fireplace back at his apartment. That must have been what clattered to the floor. My heart must have been racing so wild at his close proximity when I was entangled and dripping wet in his curtains, that I could not think straight even by morning to search for its remains. Oh lord, please have pity on me. "Anna, where are you lost? What's going on? Is everything fine?" I come back to earth and nod at Connor. "You sure?" I nod and smile a reassuring smile as well this time.

"I just need a little water maybe. I will be fine" Connor led me to a nearby seat and sat in the seat across from me.

"Danica, would you please ask Vaugh to bring a glass of water for my Anna." I could feel the evil glare of Danica burning into the sole at my back when Connor said my Anna. She was so predictable, it was funny. I felt bad for her though. Connor is stubborn and really picky, little does she know. He finds mistakes with everyone. The only reason why he is different with me is because I saved him from getting pounded by the cabin-mates on our 6th Grade Starbucks summer camp field trip.

"Anna, I don't like the colour of that dress. You know that already, don't you? Why would you wear it to come see me?" He was trying to distract me so I played along.

"I don't know. It must've slipped my mind. Besides, you never had a problem with the colour blue before. What changed?" Connor's hand froze atop of mine, then. If I was elsewhere in the room, I would have sworn he got cold feet from attempting to propose and he was triple thinking the girl's reaction.

"Helloooo. Earth to geek. You there?"
It was Connor's turn to be lost in his thoughts now. This is strange, how come he reacted that way at the mention of the colour blue? "Connor, this isn't funny. I get it. Now, come back to me. I need you here." I hold his hand and squeeze it gently. Just then, Danica accidentally spills water on my dress. I contain my reaction as there was simply nothing accidental about her projection.