Chapter 4: the one with a secret admirer

- Media -
Artist: Adam Lambert
Song: Better Than I Know Myself
_________________________
Third Person POV

"Danica, careful with that." The boss joined his hand under the plate to support the weight of the platter containing donuts, and give miss newcomer here a helping hand.

"Excuse me sir, what does a guy gotta do to get some service round here?!" A clean shaven man with a yellow construction helmet slammed his fist on the table counter.

The manager smiled and politely asked for a few minutes. "Please take a seat, gentleman. I will be right with you. This coffee store opens up in 10 minutes." The manager gestured to the clock beside the counter wall on the right. The clock read 6:51 A.M. now.

The manager was really finding it difficult to manage without Annabelle, the best and warmest waitress he'd ever seen. Perhaps, he was being biased since she was his best friend which meant more fun at work, usually. She'd do part of the managing work and encourage workers to be the best version of themselves and be confident while doing it. Without her, this coffee store is just not the same.

9 minutes pass..

"Danica, would you please switch the CLOSED sign to OPEN instead?" Danica nodded and stepped aside to let the Manager handle this impatient customer. "What would you like, sir?"

"5 dark coffee, 2 sugars, 1 cream, 1 milk; 6 boston cream donuts ----" The manager interrupted, "we don't sell boston cream donuts, here. Would you like anything else?" The impatient man slammed his fists once more onto the counter, "what? I waited this long in line and now you're telling me that you do not sell boston cream donuts?" The customer's tone elevated.

A man beside him, muscular as well, with a toned body, yet with a calmer feel lays a hand on the yellow helmet-wearing man to calm him down. "Boyd, keep it together. There are families in this line. Look at that poor girl over there ---probably 4 years old, in that pinkish flowered dress sitting with her parents.. She is looking at you wide-eyed with fear. Not cool, man. Let's go to Tim's like we always do."

Boyd turned 180 degrees to look at his friend, "ain't Tim's under construction?" The 6 feet tall friend with a light dark-haired beard responded, "ya, but it's worth the wait. It's only half of the Tim Horton's store that's under construction. We can go pick up our order from the driving alley way instead of stepping foot inside."

Without glancing back, Boyd headed out and slammed the door behind him entangling the chimes at the entrance.

The manager rounded the counter and shook hands with Boyd's fellow construction friend with his helmet underneath his left arm. "Thank you so much, my name is Connor and I am the manager here at Cafe-Alt." Boyd's friend smirks and says, "nice to meet ya. The names Bond. Carter Bond." Both men erupt in laughter and the entire Cafe-Alt store soon follow suit. "For a second there, I thought you were going to claim to be James Bond"

Carter squeezed Connor's hand and said, "ya, I always get that. I can't get enough of the British Agent 007 series. Have you watched the latest bond girl?"

Connor smoothes his diamond-red sweater vest with right palm, "Eva Green? Yes, she is quite beautiful." Connor smiles politely.

Letting Connor's hand go, Carter leans into Conner's personal space and whispers something in his right ear, "that girl behind you, that dark-haired chick with the pixie cut, I think she is checking you out." Connor jolted with surprise at Carter's revelation. Too afraid to look back, Connor pretended to have received a text message. Connor looks down at his shoes and awkwardly searches for his mobile. "It was nice meeting you Carter! We should do this again sometime. I need to take this otherwise my girlfriend would make a fit." Connor said it just loud enough for Danica to hear and get back to work.

"Alright, I will leave you to it. Catch ya later" Carter winked and took his yellow helmet from underneath his left arm and locked it in place on his head.

Connor watched him leave and held his phone in his hand, looking concentrated. He pretended to read the screen and after a moment, when he sensed from his side-vision that Danica hadn't budged, he began texting: 'WHERE ARE YOU? YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE SIX MINUTES AGO!'

Connor was so irritated that he punched in bold lettering. Connor cooled down. He took a deep breath then exhaled. Connor texted: 'Be here by 10:15, okie? -Con'

Connor closed the app and switched his Blackberry to sleep mode. He turned around and noticed his staff whistling innocently to themselves, something you'd see from a movie scene except more obvious. "Everyone, back to work!"

-------------------------------------

Hi everyone!

The Music Videos that you guys listen to in the Media section usually have some kind of key reference to the chapter or may also foreshadow something that's about to come in future chapters.

In this case, Adam Lambert's "Better Than I Know Myself" is like a kind of promo for Connor and his best friend that he was texting.

They are the best of friends and are always there for each other. It is a very sweet and strong friendship and I will try to do justice to their friendship in my writing.

Feel free to comment your thoughts!

Oh and please vote, if you enjoyed this chapter or some of the new characters or settings that I introduced.