Prologue

The queen of the SkyWings closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. 

Through her eyelids she could still see the candlelight, dying out into the pitch-black night. 

I have to do something, she thought. I have to get my dragons out of here. But she didn't want to take the SkyWings away from their home. She didn't want to do what had to be done. But dragons would die is she didn't do something. How could they survive out there anymore?

Queen Finch placed a talon on her forehead (which was throbbing with headache) and opened her eyes. Another long, deep sigh whooshed out of her snout. 

The other queens were gathered around her, each with the same grim expression on their faces - they had given up the fight. They all were ready to do what had to be done, and Finch knew she had to, too. 

But she still wasn't sure she had the strength to do it. 

"We'll go," hissed a purple dragon, Queen Extravagant. "Tomorrow night, same time. We know where we have to go. Whether we like it or not." Her deep violet eyes held a fiery glow as she looked at Finch. 

"It won't be good for the tribes at all. Numbers will dwindle! Half the population won't be able to make it. Maybe even more than that. We simply don't have enough time," Queen Hailstone said, fiddling with her talons violently. 

The queens murmured anxiously to each other for a few moments, their fear for the future of their tribes clearly visible. 

"I just want to know how it happened!" Finch suddenly burst out, causing the other queens to flinch backward. The murmurs stopped abrubtly. "Who brought the plants here? They couldn't have crossed the ocean on their own! Someone brought them here." A growl edged it's way into the SkyWing queen's voice. She was sure the LeafWings were to blame - they knew all about those plants! But most of the Pantalans had died out - any remaining members lived on Pyrrhian soil, guarded by Pyrrhian queens. 

At least, that's what the queens had been told. 

Someone must've been working against them. 

There was a traitor in their midst.

Queen Finch tensed. 

"Tomorrow night. ...Same time."