iii.

( silence lies )

She wasn't quite sure what to think. Maybe it was the way she ran off with a flimsy excuse. Maybe it was the way she seemed all too happy for her to leave. But she couldn't shake the feeling that she had done something wrong.

"They just ran off", she said to no one in particular. "And they looked so jumpy, and in a rush. And they didn't want to tell me".

She sat up on her bed and pulled her knees to her so she could curl up into a ball. Her chin resting on them, while one question repeated in her mind: why?

————

"I wonder why y/n hasn't stopped by".

"She's probably just busy. I know we've been", Julie commented as she looked up from her spot next to Luke. "Besides it would have been so hard to explain why I was so jumpy".

"I guess", Reggie said as he toned the strings of his base. "I don't know, it just feels like you should check on her".

"If it's bothering you so much then I will".

"Thanks, Julie", he smiled.

"Okay I was thinking we could switch the cords for the pre-chorus", the brunet said, his fingers grazing hers. She gasped.

"That's gonna take some getting used to", Julie commented, feeling his fingers on her's.

It had only been a week since their performance at the Orpheum. Only a week since he thought he'd have to say goodbye to the world, yet again. He didn't fully understand what happened, none of them really did. But he was happy nonetheless.

There was a soft humming of stringing in the back as Luke and Julie practiced a melody for the new song they were writing.

Reggie tried to practice on his bass, but the sound ended up clashing with the duo leaving him out of luck. He decided to head out for some air, a chance to clear his head.

It was strange, he could see and hear the human world. He could even move objects if he focused hard enough. But nothing beat the rush he felt when playing when the world's eyes were finally on him.

"Ugh", he heard the frustrated cry from up ahead. He knew he shouldn't eavesdrop, but if curiosity killed the cat, maybe it was a good thing he was already dead.

And there she sat, books and sheets of paper spread out all over the wooden porch of her house. Her fingers were curled up into her hair, annoyance written all over her face.

"Y/n?", he said out of shock.

Her head snapped up, she looked to her left then to her right. "Ugh and now I'm going crazy", she said pulling herself out of her sitting position, "Guess that's my cue to stop for the day".

She gathered her things before going into her house.

While Y/no's freak out could simply be written off to a lack of sleep, Reggie wasn't lucky. Because at this very moment the raven was hidden in the shadows. His hand over his heart, as he tried to remember how to breathe.

Had... Had she heard him? She had to, otherwise, why would she look around. But why? Why now, why her, why any of this?! After weeks of not hearing from her, all of a sudden she could hear from him.

But what did he do now? He should tell the guys right, warn them that they could be heard— but he hadn't been heard. At least by anyone else, no one else had ever acknowledged his words or his amazing puns.

No, this was different. This was between him and y/n, and he wasn't going to let anyone figure it out before him.

————

"Hey Y/n", he heard Julie say. Currently, he was in one of the lockers between the two girls, it wasn't his proudest moment. And the moral justifications were kinda fuzzy, but the method was effective and the only one he had been able to come up with.

"Oh", she said, shock evident in her voice. "You're talking to me again?", she asked.

"What?!", Julie said, equality as shocked.

"It's just you've kinda been ignoring me ever since you rushed off. You've barely even looked in my direction for the past month. I kinda thought... well I just thought you don't want to talk".

His heart tightened in his chest. Ignoring her? It was true they'd been busy with the whole Caleb situation, but he had thought Julie was still talking to her at school.

"Oh Y/n", Julie said, her tone shifting to sympathetic. "I didn't even realize. I've had some much going on last month with the band. I can't believe I ended up ignoring you like that".

"Oh... I guess that makes sense. You guys did have that big performance at the Orpheum, congrats by the way".

"Thanks", she said, he imagined a smile blooming on her face. "Why don't you come over to my place after school?".

"Really", she said unsuccessfully trying to hide her excitement. "Sure, I'll text my mom", a typing sound began before it stopped suddenly.

"I can't", y/n voice sang out. "I have to work on this really big project, and I've been it off for so long".

"Maybe I could help, what's it about?", Julie asked.

"The history and evolution of music, and its effects on humanity".

"Real hitter", Julie giggled.

"Total", y/n responded humor-laced her words.

"I think I have some books about the evolution of instruments if you wanna borrow it".

"Really?! That would be so much help", she says popping her p. "Guess I'll see you after school then", she said her voice fading as she walked off

"Guess I will", Julie replied.

This was great, y/n was coming to him. But there was one thing Reggie was thoroughly underestimating.

( "in other words, they belong to types that could fall in love, but couldn't live together".  - e.m. forster )

 forster )