Chapter 5: Another Night

A week later
MJ POV
"Don't go Michael"
"I have to." I say as I kiss her forehead.
"How'd we get here? We were happy once right?" Her Tearful eyes demanded an answer.
"I don't know. Gn"
I walk out and my driver takes me back to Hayvenhurst.
I circle back in my head how I ended up with her again. I'm emotionally exhausted. After showering I go down to the studio house we have knowing I'll be in peace since it's after midnight.
...maybe not
"Latoya what are you doing in here?"
"Just going over some songs" she sounds sad
"Need help?" I say as I look over her shoulder at her notes.
"No, I don't think I do"
"What's wrong?" I say taking the paper out her hand
"Well...it's just"
"Spit it out"
"I feel like a loser sometimes Michael, like the black sheep. Even Janet has more success than I do and she's my baby sister"
"Yeah Dunk isn't a baby anymore"
"What do you mean"
"Nothing it doesn't matter."
Latoya side eyes him
"Michael, I don't know if I have a thing. All is do is dress nice and accompany you guys to your gig"
"Latoya, I'm gonna tell you what grand dad prince told me a long time ago. 'Get out your own way'.
Latoya hugs Michael and grabs her notepad. She walks into the recording booth.
"Um-I thought- I need the booth Toy."
"Michael I just got an idea, give me a moment please."
It's like she didn't hear anything I just told her. I'll guess I'll just write.
I go into the courtyard and just walk around the house. I run into Janet coming out the guest house, she's crying. What in the heavens is going on tonight.
"Janet, what's wrong?"
"Nothing Mike." She sniffs and wipes face.
"Janet, come on, is it James again?"
"I just wished we didn't get married. He keeps smoking and I keep coming to his rescue. Joseph was right. It was stupid mistake."
"Joseph is the last to talk. Look, maybe you should just go relax. I'll talk to James" I lied. I have no intentions on talking to him because truth is Janet is my little sister and my patience for their marriage is running thin, courtesy of him of course. Besides, I felt bad for the guy.
"Relax, yeah right. This house is either empty or full half the time. I'm gonna go to Rebbies tonight."
"Sounds good. I love you Dunk. Don't be so sad. You're amazing and you have your entire life ahead of you. We're Jacksons-and-
"We're made for it" they say together. Breaking the tension Janet felt moments ago.
"Oh and please don't tell Randy, Mike. He's so hot headed these days."
They hug and Mike goes in the guest house.
He continues to write and can only think of one thing. To avoid falling into that thought he picks up and the phone and dials...
"Hello"
"You're still up"
"Of course, Mike, I'm sorry"
"Don't be. Listen we probably should slow down on this. People will suspect it after awhile."
"So?!" She said dryly. Almost scary
"Is it Billie Jean, Mike? She's got you turning against me?" She laughs
"I told you, it's just a song" I exhale "look I love you but I have to stop this-"
"Gn Michael" she slams the phone in my ear. Well I guess that's that.
Where are my envelopes? Everything goes missing around this place.