Chapter 36: Stand By

February 7, 1987
Pasadena, CA
Soul Train Awards
MJ POV

Nearly three months since I've heard or saw Aliza. Depression hit me so hard, I stopped working on my new album, BAD, for a few weeks. The album release date is in a few months and I still have to wrap up some songs and featured films.

Next week, I meet with the label to discuss my world tour. I can not go on the road without Aliza. As hurt as I am, I'm so frustrated that she won't even allow me to explain. A few nights ago, I almost lost in on Joseph. He tried to commend what happened as if I should be proud but I felt like he was finally accepting me because I reminded him of him. That does not sit right with me. I'm nothing like him, there's no amount of blood in my veins that could make me like Joseph.

Elizabeth is my date tonight and the rest of my family will be in attendance. Aliza has been nominated for seven awards. I know for sure one of them is hers because Janet is presenting it to her. When the producer call Janet to ask to present an award, she made it clear only if Aliza was the winner. Dunk is so loyal. Sometimes it bites me because she's the only one, besides Rebbie, that talks to Liza and tells me nothing. I don't know what hold Liza has on my baby sis...

.....

It's the end of the show and I still have not seen Liza. I know she's here somewhere. She won four of seven awards and now Janet is closing the show presenting the New Artist Honoree award to her.

...... Janet POV
I'm backstage behind the curtain and I can see Michael in the audience pouting. All night me and Rebbie kept glancing over to check on him. He seemed to barely enjoy the show. I noticed when Aliza won the awards, his face lit up and back sad when someone accepted the award on her behalf.
———————
"1...2...Go"

I walk out with LaToya and we wave to the crowd. Patty Labelle reaches into to hug us and I kiss her on her cheek and grab the mic...

'Tonight, I am honored to be apart of this moment. Growing up in a show business family, often times I lose sense of real life and real people. I was told recently 'Life is not about who we are or who we know, instead is about what we represent and who we represent'... I hold those words dear to me.

My great prayer partner; my singing sister; my confidant; my friend; my healing hero. Aliza, I am so happy to honor you tonight and forever. You've earned your spotlight...

We've cried together and praised together. You are more than a New Artist, to me and your LOVELY fans, you're our voice. You are every person.

With love, gratitude and honor, I present this award to my beautiful-list sistaaaa...give it up for the one and only Liza Lovelyyyyy' 

give it up for the one and only Liza Lovelyyyyy'