ONE | Senior Year

Nolan was casually throwing darts at the large human target in front of him. The darts thrown were fast and precise. The target, which was a human being, whimpered every time the darts purposely missed him. Although Nolan's eyes narrowed with hidden emotions, one could tell that his light smirk revealed his amusement.

"What is this? The fourth time someone tried to poison me? Honestly, bring more originality. I'm waiting for someone to try to kill me with a hairpin or something." Nolan commented airily as if he didn't care his life was endangered.

The poisoner was silent. Despite feeling undeniable fear and terror, he didn't open his mouth. His client threatened the lives of his beloved family. The poisoner would do everything to keep his family safe from harm, including sacrificing himself. With eyes filled with determination, the poisoner kept his lips sealed, not daring to break completely.

A chuckle roamed in the darkroom. Nolan's smirk broadened. He walked to his seat and sat down. His attitude and actions echoed his leisureliness. With his right leg over his left and his back leaning against the chair, Nolan gestured to his right aid. A black file folder was handed to him.

"Dustin Jacobs. Age thirty-seven. Worked as a private auto mechanic. Married to Ivona nee Miller. Two children. One seven-year-old boy named Warren Jacobs. One infant girl named Lia Jacobs. Oh, look. Your family picture is themed. I must admit that the aesthetic going on is not bad."

Nolan showed the poisoner, Dustin, a picture of a smiling family. The husband was grinning broadly as he held his son's shoulders. The wife had a gentle but happy expression and in her arms was a baby girl no older than ten months. The son had the happiest smile on his face. The camera accurately captured his sparkling eyes. The attire for the picture was soft and light colors that belonged to the year's spring season.

A shiver vibrated its way through Dustin's spine. His face turned pale, and the eyes that were originally determined quickly became a faint red color. The tears that formed were hesitant on whether they should fall or not. Nolan blinked at the predictable change.

"On the count of your family picture, I'll set them free from your client's hands," Nolan offered as if he was a saving grace. His next words were the final push that led Dustin to silently cry. "In return, I want your skull."

Dustin's final thoughts were of not watching his children grow and seeing his wife ever again.

The man couldn't stop his trembling. This was the real Nolan Berkshire. Underneath his aloof and stoic exterior lies a bloodthirsty and ruthless devil. Instead of being a wolf in a sheep's clothing, he is more of a rattlesnake waiting for offenders. He doesn't go for the kill until the prey enters his domain.

"Don't worry, Mr. Jacobs. You will be a great help. My uncle should be excited about his birthday present. With you, his present will surely be remembered for years, won't it? In addition, your family will be safe from all of this trouble. They will remember you as the kind and helpful dad and husband who would do anything for them."

Nolan placed the picture back into the folder and picked up another picture. It showed the interaction between Dustin and his uncle. If not for the returned deadpanned expression Nolan had on, one would have thought he would laugh at the sight of his ice cube of an uncle at a colorful and preppy café.

"Uncle must have been confident that he wouldn't get caught as the culprit behind everything." Nolan sneered lightly. "He wasn't even wearing his best suit like the other times he plotted my death."

Silver and navy uniforms mixed into a blurry crowd of students. Loud chattering and wide ranges of expressions appeared everywhere. Vincent casually leaned against the light post, crossing his arms together. His light green eyes enhanced his charming facial features while his smile exuded warmth. When some girls would pass him while walking, their giggling and rapid glances at him made Vincent feel proud. He was indeed worthy of the title "Prince Charming."