FOUR | Bars

It wasn't every day Ashlynn and Oakley visited the Great Vines Resort that belonged to the Clementes. It also wasn't every day they would witness the events of Nolan and Juno almost being arrested by the police. For that, Ashlynn had to surpass her oncoming sigh.

"Seriously," she said with tired green eyes, "who in the world would have the guts to try to frame Nolan Berkshire?"

"Someone who clearly has a death wish," Oakley replied teasingly with a small, growing smile. "Someone who doesn't know he'll get caught before he hides his tracks. Once Nolan and Juno get out of this mess, they'll raise hell on them. I would love to see what antics they'll come up with. After all, Nolan likes to use merciless means while Juno likes to use creative ones."

Ashlynn blinked blankly. She fought against the urge to roll her eyes. "'Creative' as in the time Juno released Formosan termites on that poor man's house? He caused such a big mess that the event even made it into national news. What was it known as again? Ahh, right. It was dubbed as The Terrible Termite Tragedy in the news. How cute."

Chuckling lightly, Oakley gently nudged the strawberry-blonde girl beside him with his elbow. When she turned to him with a quizzical expression, he looked at her, smiled, and said, "Well, the poor man had it coming. He tried to poison Juno with his favorite brownies. That was an idiotic move, especially since Juno was in a bad mood that day and desperately needed his brownies."

Ashlynn glanced away from his eyes and hummed her agreement. It was an idiotic move. That was why Juno somehow smuggled in termites and infested his house with them. Because of that fiasco, no one from the academy dared to interact with Juno for fear of being his next victim. Of course, that lasted for merely a few days, and then people wanted to communicate with Juno again for various personal reasons.

She watched as the SCPD officers and sheriffs blocked a large portion of the swimming pool area. The dead body of a man named Reverend Skye was found hidden in one of the lockers of the men's locker room. At that time, Nolan and Juno were in the locker rooms with seven other people. The police placed Nolan, Juno, the seven men in the locker room, the six women in the women's locker room, and the twelve people in the swimming pool on the list of suspects. It also did not help that the dead body was found in Nolan's locker. Luckily for Ashlynn and Oakley, they arrived at the resort later than the police, so they were not a part of the list.

"Oh, that reminds me," Ashlynn abruptly said. She drew her phone out and went to her messages. "I need to report to C about this whole thing. I am positive she will be so bewildered that she will contact Nolan herself. The two need to make up."

Grinning at her, Oakley nodded. He coolly positioned his hands inside the pockets of his black jeans. "Good thinking, but I still think Nolan should contact her first. He is the one that annoyed her."

"We'll see," Ashlynn responded. She looked at Oakley's eyes and beamed at him. "I forgot to say that it is nice seeing you again after months. I hope you are caught up with the lessons. You have missed quite a bit."

"You know me, Lynn." Oakley chuckled, his dimples showing. His light brown eyes smiled. "Of course, I'm all ready."

Ashlynn inhaled softly. She glimpsed a familiar figure with her bedazzled black tweed outfit and wavy ash-blonde hair. Quickly, she honestly said, "It is nice to hear that. You have always been the one who only calls me 'Lynn.' I missed that, and now you are back."

Before Oakley could properly respond—since he was a little shell-shocked by her small confession—back to her, Ashlynn waved her hand towards the oncoming figure. "Hey, Diamond! Over here!"

Oakley did notice Diamond walking to them, but he didn't care about her. His eyes stayed on Ashlynn, softening at the sight of her. He couldn't help but whisper to himself in a voice so low that Ashlynn couldn't hear him. The only word she managed to catch was "too."