Chapter 1

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor

—————————————————
Nicole's POV

"Holy crap." I whistled as I inspected the wires. "What? What is it?" Renée asked next to me bouncing up and down in anticipation. "Okay, one." I reached over and grabbed her hand holding the flashlight trying to steady it. "Two, the guys mixed up the wires again. If we sail like this the whole system could collapse. Now I have to go check section Ds wires again, so put that on out to do list." I reached up and began to fix the wires. I swear grown men can't do one simple job and here they have someone half there age fixing it for them. Again.

"I bet it was Stanley." I growled under my breath as it tightened the screws around them with my wrench. That man was so incompetent he couldn't swat a fly if he wanted to let alone re-build a freighter. That's way Vince put me in charge of this operation. I was in charge of every mechanical object here. From radios to cars. You came to me.

Today I needed a distraction since everyone was out hijacking one of WCKDs transports trying to get Minho, Aris, and Sonya back along with others. As much as I wanted to help I needed to check and re-check the freighter to make sure we're ready to go as soon as possible. That wasn't the only reason that was holding me back.

My leg hasn't gotten much better in the past months. It was still twisted slightly the wrong way, like the muscle and skin from where the limp originated.

What didn't help was how a month ago I had a bad fall. It didn't have any effect of the muscles and inner deformation, but I twisted my leg itself more. Now, when I walk my leg is faced slightly off to the side instead of forward.

As if my leg wasn't enough there was an additional factor in my suspension.

Still sworn to secrecy, Jemma Fowl, had been keeping updates on my...health problems. Jemma has proved herself to be an actual advanced student in the field of medicine. Vince had actually appointed her in charge of everything medical. So naturally when I was forced to have meetings with her about my leg our topic would usually stray to something else.

Dealing with the...disease was an up hill climb. I still didn't tell anyone about it since they already worried about me with my leg enough. Truthfully, I also feel like just admitting that I have it is going to open up a harsh reality to me and those are often best kept in a hazy fever dream.

My seizures weren't as bad as they use to be. Only coming once every several weeks, mostly because of Jemma's help and the fact that the woman did everything in her power to keep my blood pressure from exploding from stress.