Chapter 4- Visitors

A.N. Natalie and Natasha are the same person (I think that's obvious but I don't want anyone confused lol)

Katya POV-

The day is actually going somewhat smoothly. My mom is overjoyed, fawning over the three children she hasn't seen in nearly a decade. It makes me want to cringe. How much of this joy would be fear if she knew the extent of what they had done? Of course the knows the basic stuff but she's only ever scratched the surface of their actual past. Honestly, she's probably lucky. If I didn't know I might be able to look them in the eyes.

Dasha is sitting on the couch next to me, Natalie between me and Trixie, and Adrian across the room by my mom. The conversation is light which is good. I can handle that as long as I don't have to watch their facial expressions too close. I wish Anastasia was here too but it's been a while since I've seen her. There's always the possibility that she went back but I just don't really want to think about all that. It's better to imagine her living happily in Moscow like she was last time she called three years ago. Maybe she married that guy she was seeing, maybe she's found someone else, and there's always the possibility that I'm an aunt by now and just have no idea. I don't care if she never talks to me again, I just care that she's happy and alive. Mostly alive.

"Yeketrina." Dasha says, playfully nudging my shoulder. I smile, coming back to the conversation at hand. "What've you been up to lately."

Natasha chimes in. "I see a ring on your finger, who's is it?"

I almost choke, I completely forgot I still had my ring on. "Oh, yeah." I say, laughing to try and stall.

My mom nods at me though, urging me to keep going. But do I tell the truth? I'm sure they could figure it out but then again this is Russia. I can't exactly know what they'll think of me. "Oh spit it out." Natalie laughs, rolling her eyes.

"Trixie and I are getting married in four months." I tell them, looking to the floor.

"Oh my god that's awesome!" Adrian says. "Who proposed?"

I feel my cheeks go red, Trixie's smiling now too, not understanding the conversation but happy that I'm happy. I turn and tell her what they asked, she smiles even more. For once this whole family seems to be okay. "Funny story." I say. "I pulled out a ring and then right after Trixie started laughing, I didn't know why. Turns out she had a ring in her pocket to. So I suppose the answer is both of us?"

"Unplanned?" Natalie asks.

"Yup." I reply. "You seen anyone Natalie?"

She shakes her head. "There's this guy that I work with though, he's pretty great."

"She won't shut up about him." Dasha says. "They've only talked twice."

"Of course she won't." I roll my eyes. "Do you all live close to each other?" I ask.

Adrian nods. "All within a five minute drive. It's pretty far north though, about three hours away from here."

"You drove all the way down here?" I ask.

"It was the only time this month that you two were going to be down here and we were free. We wanted to come see you. It's been so long and things have changed a lot since then." Natalie says.

I shrug. "Yeah I see that." I reply.

It seems too good to be true. Suddenly I have them all back. They're like they were when we were little. Annoying older siblings that fawn over the smallest things and laugh about the stupidest jokes. If I didn't remember it all I would've thought the last decade never existed and that we'd always been like this. Maybe one day that's how it will feel.