Chapter 9 - Anastasia

TW: hospitals

Trixie POV-

My phone buzzes on the couch next to me and Kira's name appears. I press answer quickly, hoping she has some kind of news. "Hey." I say into the phone.

"Trix?" She replies.

"Yeah?"

"Um. Things are. I think you need to come back to the hospital."

I can feel my whole body sink back into itself, feel the dread soak through all my bones and spread to the very tips of my fingers. "Is something wrong?"

"Not necessarily. They think they found a couple of her files and it's so confusing. They won't tell me much, just that you need to come and look everything over."

"Why me?" I ask. None of this makes sense I don't even speak Russian. Why do they want me?

"Because you're the only person right now that Katya will sign release forms to. She's scared, just please let me come and pick you up."

I nod but realize she can't hear that and then I pause, trying not to cry or say something stupid. "Yeah, just let me know when you get here."

"Ok." She replies. "Hey things are going to be fine. I think you'll be able to see her tonight."

I can smile a little bit about that. "Yeah, hopefully."

I make myself more presentable before Kira gets here and rush out the door when she arrives. She hands me a bag of McDonalds. "Listen, I know it's gross but it tastes the same everywhere."

"Thanks." I smile, taking it from her. "And it may be gross, but oh my god it's so good when you're hungry."

She laughs and pulls out of the parking lot. The hospital is close and we pull in quickly.

The glass doors swing open and we're met with a gust of warm air coming from the heater just above it. Walking in I actually feel better. It's far less busy than it was before and nobody is running around. Plus, I think they found her files... Hopefully.

Kira come to translate as I go to talk to the woman at the front desk. She tells her who I am and who I need to see. The woman leads me behind the glass doors and into the same small office as before.

"We found what we believe are her files. But, she's under a different name."

I raise an eyebrow. "What's the name?" I ask.

"Anastasia." He replies. "Everything else matches except for the first name."

I shake me head. "No. No that's her sister. That can't be right. That's her older sister."

"The file has her finger prints in it. We checked them earlier."

"No." I say. "How would that even happen? Then what name is her sister under?"

"Natasha?" He questions.

"No, Anastasia."

The man shakes his head. "There's only one Anastasia." He replies. "We've checked."

I don't know what this all means. "Can I see her?" I ask.

He nods. "I'll call Dr. Fedrovna to bring you back to her room. Do you want to tell her or do you want us to?"

"I can." I respond. "Yeah. I can."

Katya POV-

I wake up in Trixie's arms. Her blonde hair is strewn around me and she smells like Kira's apartment. When I move around a little bit her eyes flutter open and she smiles at me. "You're up." She says.

I nod and lay my head back down on her chest. "How are you?" I ask her.

"Good." Trixie replies. "Do you feel okay?"

"My chest hurts. Broken ribs aren't my favorite thing."

She kisses me on the forehead. "I know, doesn't sound very fun."

I'm not sure if I should ask her all the questions I have. I only remember part of that night, just running away. After they shot me I blacked out completely. There's a hole in my memory and I'm not sure if I want it to be filled in. Would it just hurt worse to know what actually happened? There's a part of me that needs to know. I've spent my whole life in the dark with my family. It's time to know for sure, otherwise they're getting what they want. "Where are they?" I ask.

"Who?"

"My family." I reply.

Trixie pauses for a moment. "I don't know."

The pain in my chest gets worse for a moment and I lean forward, hoping that it goes away. "They're still out there?"

"Yeah." She says. I can tell that there's more that she isn't telling me but I don't push her for answers. Right now, I don't think I can handle the truth. Maybe tomorrow.

A/N: sorry about the short update, definitely got some writers block going on. Also, I haven't fully read this one over so if you see any mistakes just ignore it 😂. Probably won't update for another week but hopefully it'll be more consistent after that. Have a nice week!