Chapter 8 - Flashback

T.W. Flashback scenes with some physical abuse. You can skip this chapter easily. If you're heading out now see you next week :p

Katya POV-

I reach up to pull on the bottom of his shirt. He turns to me and smiles. Natalie steps behind me, grabbing me under the arms and picking me up. She holds me against her. I feel her heart beat. I want to be just like her when I turn 9. There's only a couple more years to go. Five to be exact. "Hand her to me." Dad says to Natalie and he grabs me gently. He smells like he always does and it makes me happy. That scent always comes with fun.

The kitchen spins in circles even after he stops and I can't help laughing. "My turn!" Ana says, holding her arms up.

"Hold on Yeketrina." He says, letting go of me to pick up my sister and put her on his back.

This time when he spins I can hear Ana laughing too. I could never get tired of her laugh. "Do you want a turn Natasha?" My dad asks, setting me and Ana down.

She shakes her head and squints her eyes, standing him up. Natalie's always been so serious. "Your turn!" Adrian says, scooping her up from behind. He runs her all the way down the hallway as she shrieks with laughter.

I hear a thud at the end of the hallway and then a loud pop. Anastasia grabs my hand as dad races down the hall. "What did you do!" He yells.

The rest of it is words I've never even heard before. But they don't sound like nice words. And they must not be because Natalie starts crying and Adrian yells back at him.

I feel much better when I see Dasha. He leads us to the basement and under the bed in the extra bedroom. "What's happening?" I ask. "Are we playing a game?"

Dasha nods and smiles. "Yeah, in this game you have to hide under the bed until mom gets home. And then when she does, you win."

"We should tell Natalie so she can play." I say, trying to crawl back out from under the bed.

Anastasia pulls my pant leg and I turn back around. "Natalie can't play." She tells me. "She's playing a different game."

The yelling stops and I hear footsteps on the stairs. "Daddy's coming." I whisper.

"Katya, get under the bed." Dasha says. He looks afraid for some reason. "You have to play the game."

Suddenly the room turns white, I'm standing in a tiny space between a shelf and a door. It's the closet of the old house so I'm not sure why I'm here again. And just as I expected the footsteps are here too. They always are. Over and over the footsteps come down the hall. Over and over he comes to grab me out of the hall closet. And somehow every time I hide in the same spot. When will the cycle ever end?

Just as I expected my dad yanks open the door. He smells the same as always, like cologne and whiskey all mixed together. It makes me want to be sick. That scent is the worst thing I've ever smelled. "Lucky you." He says. "Home alone with me."

I don't reply. It makes him more angry when I don't talk.

But I wish that I would because then maybe he won't do what comes next. Maybe he won't hurt me again.

He grabs my arm and pulls me out of the closet. "Are you going to try to run or not?"

Again, I stay silent. I want to run but my legs won't let me. I'm stuck here, unable to move or cry out for mom.

My dad stares at me, pursing his lips. "Do you have anything to say? Or are you just a sorry excuse for a daughter? A fucking lesbian."

I raise my eyebrows at him. He won't hurt me. He never has before. But everything about him makes me so angry. The way his eyes sit, how his nose is red from the alcohol, and his shirts never have the very top button secured. "Do your fucking worst." I taunt.

His face goes bright red and his eyes look like they might fall out of his head. "You do not ever talk to me like that."

"Natalie gets to talk like that." I say.

He pushes me and I fall backwards, stunned into silence. My dad doesn't do things like this. He's not a good parent but he's not a bad one. This isn't right. This can't be right.

"You want to be treated like your sister? Fine." He says, kicking me against the wall. "Natalie is grown, you are not."

I'm too afraid to cry. He looks down at me on the floor. There's still so much anger in his eyes. I can tell he wants to do more.

Before I can even think of what to do next he takes my hand and helps me to my feet. "Come on." He says.

A.N. I know this chapter is short af but I'm on break rn and definitely not focused on this all the time lol. It's also for sure written terribly 😂. We'll pretend I've been actually busy and not just texting my girlfriend non-stop 😬. Next chapter won't be flashbacks and I was going to include it here but I honestly hated the way I wrote it. Thx for reading and have a lovely week!