1.2

•- Quincie Jackson -•

Following my phone conversation with Elijah, I'd composed a quick synopsis of my thoughts yet leaving the details vague enough as to not spoil my conclusions based on the text I'd read.

I'd sent the attachment to Elijah who quickly replied.

Quincie,

Your thoughts are compelling, your structure sound, I'm worried you have a better understanding of Aldous than he himself. I look forward to reading his book at your recommendation. I'll send my notes of the next book your way when you've finished. We can compare our thoughts and reconvene when possible.

Again, I am sorry for the unknowing intrusion tonight and please accept my apology. Sleep well, I'll see you tomorrow.

Dr. Elijah Fields
Professor
Chairperson
Department of Philosophy
University of Kingston Wright

I choose to not reply and instead sink into the comfort of my mattress freshly changed into my pajamas for the night.

I had been looking forward to getting a start on the project and while I knew we still had quite some time, it was frustrating to have my plans for a better education soiled.

•———•

The following day I trudged along the halls of our philosophy building. My class would start in nearly five minutes and per usual I was arriving within the times necessary to prepare myself for the class while simultaneously getting comfortable with the course material that would be written on the board.

I follow behind one of my peers and when I enter the room, Elijah looks to me with a smile.

"Miss. Jackson," he calls out my name, "A word please?"

I pull the strap of my backpack up my shoulder as I approach him we're he stood at the podium. He looked relaxed as he leaned onto his forearms.

"How are you this morning?" He asks uncharacteristically.

"Uh, fine?" I reply with a raised brow as I silently inquire why he would ask such a thing.

"I figured you'd have already dived into the next book?" He asks me with a kind smile.

I nod, "With the extra time last night I got through a couple chapters."

"Good, I was hoping so. I won't trouble you with another apology but I wanted to say that your professionalism in that situation did not go unnoticed. That professionalism and maturity is hard to find in someone your age."

My cheeks flush but it was due to the hot autumn air as the shift from summer to fall began to take effect. We had our chilly days and nights but overall heat was silently smothering us.

"Thank you, Dr. Fields. Really it was no big deal. It gave me a chance to read and I would never turn that down!"

He laughs, "I wouldn't imagine that you would. Anyways, I really appreciate your understanding."

I nod and when I glance to the clock I find us to be three minutes into our lecture time.

"Yeah, well. That's me, good ol' understanding Quincie!" Awkwardly said I close my eyes at my own embarrassment, "I'm going to go sit down now and relive my embarrassment for the next hour."

Elijah laughs loudly and in doing so catches the attention of my peers. Even more embarrassed now I approach my seat with my head bowed cursing myself in as many languages as one could recall curse words.