0.5

•- Quincie Jackson -•

"Great works of literature show these moral values through the theme and plot of the story. We can look at great novels such as, 'The Handmaid's Tale,' and 'Fahrenheit 451.' There are countless books out there full of these moral differences that create these dystopian societies formed on the basis of control."

There was something different about Professor Field's today as he danced around the classroom in excitement.

I could not help myself as I watch attentively. He spoke with his hands and accentuates each pronunciation to keep his British accent from disturbing the sentence.

There was a slight pattern of rain dropping down against the high windows. The skies were clearly gray and the rain slid down the panes of glass in such a bleak manner.

But despite the poor weather, the man from England waltzed around the classroom with a bit of fire in his step.

"Morals lead our political standpoint and they conceive our free thought. It is our beliefs that pull society from the ashes and build them anew. These books display a common theme of moral corruption. Women forced into sexual enslavement after the downfall of America's ecosystem, and knowledge holding such great power that they fear books and burn those who stand in the way."

His hands fall as his eyes scan the room. No one seemed intrigued in the lecture and instead opted for doodling in their notepads or yawning tiredly.

I could see the way his face dropped at this realization before he turns to his desk and picks up a piece of paper.

"But I'm no English teacher, I'm simply a man who sees the world differently," he turns back to the crowd of bored and exhausted college students, "By the end of this course I hope you all are too."

His hopeful smile returns before he glances down to the sheet of paper.

"Before I dismiss you," he says loudly which caused the attention of students to perk up, "I have been presented with an opportunity."

His eyes scan the crowd and hover slightly in my direction.

"A very old and cranky philosopher left his books lying around when he was shot in the back by his brother. Quite literally in fact. The School Board happened to get their grimy little administrative hands on these books and letters full of his thoughts and his moral guidance. Each of you will have the opportunity to submit an essay. It will then be judged by another faculty member and the winner of this competition will accompany me for the rest of the semester in deciphering the works of a local philosopher. While it does not seem at all entertaining, I can assure you this type of thing looks fantastic when interviewing for a career. Applications will be on my desk, grab one if you're interested, if not, I don't care. You're dismissed."

My peers stand from their seats and race to the desk as if a paper shortage would miraculously happen.

I contemplated it momentarily before finding more cons to working alone with Professor Fields than pros.

While I was trying my best to give him another chance, more for the sake of his adorable dog than him, I can't help but feel my stomach sink at the thought of spending so much time with him to read through these works.