3.6

•- Elijah Fields -•

When it comes to planning dates, I should like to think I'm smart enough to plan the perfect evening with the perfect young woman.

I stand in front of Quincie's front door, a single white lily in my hand because they remind me so much of her. Pure, innocent, beautiful. All adjectives to describe one Quincie Jackson are shown in something so simple as a flower.

Checking my watch one last time and shaking away my nerves I bring my fist to the door and knock.

Within seconds Grace is pulling open the door with Fletcher behind her. I hadn't spoken to him much if really ever, but Quincie looks up to him like the older brother she doesn't have. And that is enough for me to have a biased appreciation for Grace's boyfriend.

"Hello," I greet with a friendly smile, "Don't suppose Quincie is ready yet, is she?"

I know better than to assume Quincie was ready for the evening. In all other aspects of life, Quincie is organized, professional, and prepared for everything. But I've noticed that this new experience of dating has unsettled some of those characteristics.

Stumbling from her room I catch a glimpse at Quincie. A white dress similar to the shade of the lily I hold in my hand falls above her knees as she struggles to pull on a pair of shoes.

"Of course I'm ready," she blushes feverishly as she flips her hair from the collar of her dress that she must have just pulled on at a moment's notice.

I cock my head to the side as I watch her rush around her apartment flustered as she grabs at everything she'll need for the evening.

"My sincerest apologies, Love. How can I be so obliviously stupid?"

Stopping her rushing for a moment Quincie flares daggers in my direction.

"Shut up," she narrows her eyes for a brief moment before she's gathered everything but the kitchen sink.

"That is no way to greet your date, young lady!" Fletcher crosses his arms over his chest as he stares at Quincie.

"Gee, thanks for the dating advice, dad."

Fletcher seems more amused by her comment as his shoulders shrug, "At least I'm a better dad than the one you've got."

Quincie sticks her tongue out so I can only assume it was all in good fun. When she finally approaches the door she takes a deep breath and with a breathtaking smile, she greets me.

"Hi."

I smile before extending the flower in her direction, "Hello beautiful."

Having ignored the presence of Grace and Fletcher I turn to them.

"We shouldn't be out too late. I promise to bring her back in mint condition."

Grace smiles as she leans against the door of their shared apartment. "I don't think I'd mind much if you kept her out all night. We know she's in safe hands."

Quincie rolls her eyes as she hands the single lily to her best friend.

"Alright, quit acting like I'm not older than both of you," Quincie shakes her head with a smile before reaching towards me and taking my hand in hers.

"Two months you little shit," Fletcher swats at her head but she dodges the blow and slips into the hallway. Grace, who had clearly picked sides in the exchange, quickly shuts the door behind her. Still, we can hear the muffled banter between the couple hidden behind the door.

But I choose to ignore it as I focus all my attention on Quincie.

"You look as beautiful as always," I compliment her as I press a soft kiss to her cheek.