3.2

•- Quincie Jackson -•

I sat on the floor of Elijah's apartment just below the couch. It's been nearly an hour since he was meant to come home, and after a brief text telling me the meeting was running late, I took to working on my midterm paper for Elijah's class.

Per his request, I was sat in one of his philosophy shirts that I pulled fresh from the dryer. Instead of my jeans, I'd traded them for a pair of pajama shorts because it was late and I couldn't care less about how I looked.

My hair was pulled up in a bun to keep from clouding my vision, and my glasses which I usually never wore were perched on the bridge of my nose.

I know that I should have tried harder. But simply put, I didn't care if Elijah thought less of me for how I looked. I was comfortable, and that was all that mattered.

Max let out a tired groan from the other end of the couch. He'd look up from his sleep every so often hoping to see Elijah. We had just come back from a short walk and I sympathized with him. Even more, I could relate. I too missed his companion and when Max would look towards the door I got more excited than I'd like to admit.

I reach up and pet him but don't tear my eyes away from my paper. I was on a roll with my essay and nearly done. I had only just started when I got to his apartment and I was happy to have the solitude of silence. I'd grown used to Max's snores and grunts when I stayed during Elijah's visit back home so they hardly bothered me. If I were back at my apartment with the boys, the sound of their video games would keep me from finishing my paper.

I was halfway done with my next to the last paragraph before my conclusion when I hear the lock click in the front door.

Max jumps from the couch and races towards the door but I can't be bothered to look as I try and finish my thought before it vanishes.

I hear Elijah greeting Max as I type faster in hopes of finishing quickly. I can't seem to concentrate though as my excitement overpowers my will for good grades.

I look up at Elijah just as he steps further into his apartment. In one hand he had a box of pizza and the other a bouquet of beautiful lilies. As if the first bouquet he got me wasn't still downstairs in my bedroom.

"I'm sorry the meeting took a lot longer than I expected," he places the things in his hands to the counter before he approaches me with a kind smile.

Elijah leans down and presses a quick greeting kiss to my lips. I hold back from kissing him again as he pulls away.

"Have you been studying this entire time?" I don't miss his teasing tone as he pulls his dress shirt from his slacks.

"It's my damn philosophy professor. A real drag he is. He assigned a terrible essay. I'll be up all hours of the night trying to finish!" I fake being offended as Elijah takes the small platform step to his bedroom.

"Do you need me to go have a talk with this terrible professor?" Elijah jokes as he starts unbuttoning his shirt, "Because I'll rough him up a bit."

"I—I think I can manage."

My eyes were caught on his hands as they undo every individual button. Soon, he was pulling off his dress shirt all together followed by his white undershirt.