VII

It hadn't been a good day, and it wasn't over yet. Sitting in the back seat next to Aurelia, I knew I would be fighting more than one battle today. The teenager was sitting right next to me, not saying a word, but she had a sinister smile on her face. Of course it's because the famous Kevin is coming today. That's what I need, another snob and boor in this damn house with this damn family. The second reason for the smile, probably concerned the information about my sentence I need to do with Rayan. Aurelia was well aware of what was going on with individuals in different groups at school. All the gossip, all the information came to her at the speed of light. That's what happens when you don't have your life interesting enough to be interested in other people's lives. Buck sensed the tension, which was probably why he did not rattle the conversation. He calmly drove the car, not breaking the silence. He'd probably ask what it was about when Aurelia wasn't around. You have to watch out for that rag. You never know when she'll decide to attack and make my life miserable. I only hope that the household will give me
a break this evening at dinner. I can't bear to participate tonight in this game where no one is honest with each other and family members hide what they really think of each other. In fact,
I don't know if they really are. Whether they have a bad opinion of each other. But after all, as the esteemed Mr. Rayan Cory, an expert on human behavior, said, I am, after all, like a woman and I think emotionally. Of course, the guy doesn't even know me. He hasn't even tried to get to know me and he's saying these things about me. He's a shallow idiot. Just like Aurelia, who is also happy to get her phone call like an idiot.

My tension must have reached its peak, because Buck finally broke the silence in the car.

- Kid, come on. What happened? - He asked looking at me through the front mirror of the car.

- Let Aurelia tell you. She certainly knows the story better than I do, judging by how pleased she is with herself. - I couldn't stand it.

- But I didn't do anything, Max. I was sitting nicely and not disturbing anyone, and you called me. You know what? - Aurelia said these words, with as wide a smile as before. Sarcasm in her voice was an understatement. Sarcasm was almost pouring out of her mouth like water from Niagara Falls.

Buck seemed not to care at all about my irritation, much less Aurelia's sarcasm.

- Do they tease you at school? You can say so, go ahead. - Buck replied very calmly, while giving his statement an air of seriousness.

I opened my mouth to already tell him what happened. And you know what? Aurelia spoke up.

- But since Max wants me to tell you, I'll tell Buck the short version.

Buck rolled his eyes from top to bottom, left and right. Then he scratched his forehead with one hand. He looked at me again through the mirror and, seeing how angry I was, gave up on entering into any discussion with anyone else in the car. At least that's how it looked at the time.

- So, our Max was assigned, along with Rayan Cory, to recreate a theater scene from "In the Night at Midnight." - Aurelia began to speak with such commitment as if she were telling the plot to a great movie. - I'm assuming he'll be the one to play Annabelle, because I don't believe Rayan will play the dying, delicate, and alluring virgin. If she plays him at all. Also, Rayan punched Max in the stomach. Apparently Max burst into tears after the incident.

Bitch, bitch, whore, idiot, retard. I'll strangle her.

Buck couldn't stand the self-imposed abstinence from not speaking and said:

- Isn't Rayan Cory by any chance the boxer you're in love with, Aurelio? - Buck did an innocent look, as if he just wanted to ask her for more information. I immediately sensed that he wanted to take a bite out of her for how awful she was.