XXII

We were all already seated in our assigned places at the ornately set table. To my suspicion, my seat fell next to Apolonia, which was the most important seat at the table. From my perspective, from my left sat Luna, Aurelia, Rayan, Elizabeth and cheerleader Betty. From Apolonia on her right, Gregory, my mom Catleyn, Kevin, Randal and cheerleader Annie took their places. I guess Apolonia must have had a lot of fun after Rayan's last visit since she decided to seat both him and Kevin across from each other. Aurelia, although she didn't want to show it, was obviously delighted to sit next to the doberman. I also noticed that both cheerleaders were alternately exchanging smiles, looking at each other and then glancing at Kevin in turn. I don't know if this was due to his uniform or the fact that Kevin had a kind of personal charm that could be seen at first glance. Both girls were dressed rather skimpily for my taste, which did not escape the attention of grandmother Apolonia, who gave both girls a penetrating and cold look. The girls were dressed in the same short yellow dresses, through which you could easily see their underwear. This was a huge affectation according to the old woman, as she expected everyone to dress in her and Luna's style. The old woman put on an elegant dark red suit and a dark red large hat. I wasn't convinced why she needed headgear in the room, however, I wasn't going to ask her about it. Luna was dressed similarly to my mother. Except that her dress was not brocade white, but brocade red with even more black fur around her neck and black long gloves. Before anything could happen, the woman was obviously already smoking a cigarette. Randal and Rayan seeing this looked at each other and smiled. Seeing this I loudly grunted for them to look at me. When they did, I discreetly shook my head. I wanted to give them the message "not yet, you fools". Elizabeth read my sign perfectly, because she immediately accosted Rayan, who was sitting next to her, and said something in his ear. The boy merely shrugged his shoulders and made a goofy face at Randal, who automatically grinned.

"The ceremony" (or so I won't call this farce that just happened) was supposed to start with blowing out the candles on the cake, presenting the gifts and wishing the birthday boy personally. As for me, general wishes from everyone together, at once, would have sufficed. Unfortunately, it will have to be passed somehow. So long as we get to the end of the official part.

Soon Pyra and Myra brought in a cake with eighteen candles lit on it. Every guest already had a glass of champagne poured, so everyone was just waiting for me to make a wish and blow out those candles. Honestly, I was looking forward to it myself. The sooner I complete this rite or ritual, the sooner we would be done.

The cake was sizable and looked extremely appetizing. Under the chocolate icing, one could see some white and pink stripes of fluffy cake. On the topping, there were strawberries and between them, small white candles. Before I could blow out the candles, however, Apolonia slowly got up from her chair and raised her glass of champagne. This was the cue for everyone to stand up and grab their glasses as well.

- Dear family, distinguished guests. - The woman began to speak in her old voice. I was just wondering if the she-wolf sanctioned me in terms of "family" or "guest". - The day of one's eighteenth birthday is an important moment in every young person's life. From that day on, he becomes an adult citizen, able to make his own independent, mature or immature life decisions. If an old woman like me could wish anything for a young man like Maxwell, it would certainly be sanity, wisdom, moderation and maturity in the life to come. And that is what I and I think all of us here wish for you Maxwell. That you enter your adult life as a responsible and mature man. Cheers.

After these words grandmother Apolonia raised the glass a little higher and everyone at the table, including me, followed her. Everyone drank some champagne and then they put the glasses back on the table. It was a strange wish. Apolonia hardly ever spoke, so this monologue with wishes stank of something. I don't know what she meant, I don't even know if these wishes were sincere. Everything that came out of that old woman's mouth always sounded mean to me. Maybe she wanted to accuse me of being reckless and irresponsible? If so, she could have picked a better time. I just don't know what I did to her this time to listen to insults about myself at the table, dressed in such dignified attire as her words.