Chapter 14

*Eva*

Alexia lets me sleep with Leo tonight. He jumps on my bed and curls up next to me like he's done it a hundred times.

I pet his soft head and drift off to sleep.

***

I awake to the sound of barking and I look around my room for Leo. Then I hear scratching. Next comes a knock on the door. I throw on a robe and pad over. Leo keeps pawing at the door, begging me to open it.

I wrap my arms around myself tightly as I see who it is.

"Prince Kent," I finally manage.

"You can just call me Kent. I'm not a prince here," he says as he steps over the threshold.

Leo jumps on Kent, excitedly.

"Sorry," I say as I scoop up Leo.

"He's really cute." Kent smiles. "Is it okay?" He reaches his hand out and I nod.

He scratches Leo's head and Leo sticks out his tongue which makes me laugh.

"So what brings you here this morning? Something in particular?"

"I was going to follow up with Alexia on something."

"Should I get her?"

"It can wait."

He continues to pet Leo who is still clutched in my arms and I come up with an idea, "I was going to take him on a walk. Would you like to join?"

"That would be great."

"Just give me a couple of minutes to get dressed please, then we'll go." I gesture towards the couch. "Make yourself at home."

Before I go, I knock on Alexia's door and step inside when I hear her mumble that I could.

"Kent, Leo, and I are going on a walk. Care to join?"

"Nah. I want to sleep."

With that, I head off to get ready.

***

"I can see why you like it here," Kent says as the fresh air fills our lungs. "It's kind of nice to get away. To get a total change of scenery."

"Definitely."

"I was shocked when I arrived on Mars and you both were gone," he chuckles, "But you settled here nicely it seems."

"Do you know why we're banished?" I can't help but ask.

"Yes," he replies carefully. "The king needed to tell me."

"Were you surprised by the news?" I can't help but be curious.

"I had a sneaking suspicion though I really wasn't sure," he tells me, "I did know Alexia strongly disliked me though," he laughs, "she made it pretty obvious"

I nod, deep in thought.

***

*Kent*

There is a beat of silence before I decide to ask, "Do you miss Mars?"

"I definitely miss things about it," Eva sighs, "Like I miss my potion room the most, the royal garden, and Milo."

"Whose Milo?" I wonder and I am unsure if she senses the slight jealousy that lines my words.

It's like she brings out this other part of me. It is interesting how each person can affect you differently.

"He is the son of one of the cooks in the Cingston Palace. I spent a lot of time with him to give his mom a break. I always had a liking for little kids, especially young boys." She smiles as if recalling those days. "He's five", she adds.

"That's really nice of you to take him off his mom's hands for a little while," I say, "I'm sure they are missing you."

"Do you want to walk Leo?"

"Sure." I take the leash from the hand she extends toward me.

We continue along until Eva stops. "I know that girl," she says as she waves to someone across the street. "Do you mind if we cross over?"