Chapter 2

*Eva*

The next morning, I walk into Alexia's room, a greeting on my lips. But she isn't here.

Knowing her well, I figured she'll be in the garden. It's a good place to think.

"Alexia," I greet her. She's sitting on the stone bench, among the roses. "I'm sorry about last night." I sit down beside her.

"It wasn't your fault. It's my father I really am upset at."

I almost want to say it's not his fault either. He's just following protocol. He actually is almost doing her a favor. He could make her marry someone worse. But I hold back.

"The garden looks so pretty. The lilacs were a good addition," I say instead.

"Yeah," she agrees.

I enjoy the quiet and the air of the outside.

Alexia breaks the silence, "We should go have breakfast now."

"Yeah, we probably should."

So we both get up and head inside.

***

I'm walking down the staircase, humming to myself, when I nearly bump into Prince Kent.

"Sorry," I say, moving around him.

"No problem," he replies, "Where you off to?"

"My potion room... It's in the basement."

"So I've heard." He smiles. "Maybe you can give me a tour?"

I hesitate, knowing that my doing so may come off as inappropriate.

"You don't have to," he says quickly.

"No, it's fine. Follow me." I lead him downstairs.

"It's a cool place you got here," he comments as he looks around.

"Thanks. I'm lucky the King takes such good care of me."

He looks like he's about to say something when he sees the photo on my desk. "Are those your parents?" he asks softly.

"Yes." I come to stand beside him. "They are both gone now."

"I am so sorry." He gives me a sincere look. "My mom died when I was young. I didn't even get to know her."

We both stand there in contemplative silence.

Just then I hear the door creak open. "Eva?!" I hear Alexia's surprised voice.

I turn around and find her there with Ricky, the royal guard.

I exchange a questioning glance with Alexia, who looks equally stunned.

"Well hi," Prince Kent breaks through the thick silence after a moment. He walks towards the doorway and addresses Ricky, "Is everything okay?"

Ricky looks at Alexia, then back at Kent. "Yes, everything is fine." He dips into a small, unnatural-looking bow. "The princess was unsure where you went off to, and since... well, I just thought I would help her find you."

Prince Kent nods. He turns towards me and bids me farewell before closing the door. Only then do I let out a breath.

***

I wake up the next morning and feel refreshed, something that didn't happen in a long time.

I wash out my mouth, get dressed, and walk down the hallway to the staircase. I head in the direction of the kitchen when I hear a little voice scream, "Eva!"