Chapter 4

Lane stood leaning against the fence, hat pulled low over his eyes, and arms hanging over the top rail, as he watched the older cowboy in front of him slowly put his foot in the stirrup and ease his way into the saddle. The colt he was training to ride went stiff as Doug put his full weight into the saddle. Lane narrowed his eyes and watched as the colt got ready to spring as soon as Doug nudged him forward. Just as he thought, the colt exploded as soon as Doug touched his side with his boots and Doug clung on for dear life as the colt bucked and crow-hopped around the round pen. Impressively the older cowboy clung on until the colt was done, and nudged him forward again as soon as he stopped bucking. The colt refused to go anywhere, just stood stock still despite the nudges and kicks given him. Finally Doug swore and swung down off the colt, wincing as his feet hit the ground. He glanced at Lane and shrugged.

"There you have it. That's the third time we've been in the saddle with him and he does the same thing every time. Can't get him to do a thing once he gets over his fit." Lane bit his lip and nodded slowly.

"I see." Hopping over the fence he moved towards the colt. It now stood in the middle of the pen, head down and looking fairly unbothered after the scene it had just caused. Talking low, Lane approached the colt and stroked it's neck and face softly. The horse huffed out a long breath as if relaxing totally.

"It seems that he would turn out to be a good horse if we could get him to do anything. He has spirit and on the ground he gives all he can." Doug had moved closer to Lane and Lane listened while the cowboy explained what they had done for groundwork and how the animal had responded.

"How long did you have him on halter, and how long did you do groundwork on him?" He asked and watched Doug think about it, before the other man shrugged.

"I can't say for sure. Never really paid attention to how long but it's got to be at least a year since we got him on halter. He's three now. We got him a bit later than we usually do with colts. He was already halter trained when we got him a year ago." Lane nodded and walked to pick up the reins. The colt came willingly behind him as he led him around the pen a few times before he stopped and came back to Doug.

"My opinion is that he just needs more work on the ground. Get this bridle off him and do some lunging with the saddle on. Don't even try get on him for the next few weeks, but work his butt off on the lunge line and make him wear the saddle every minute that you're working with him. Then try again. If it's a problem with the bit and the bridle that he has, we can try work that out later." Doug was nodding as Lane explained what he thought should be done.

"That makes sense to me. Eli thinks he's had enough time on the ground though and was pushing for him to be ridden." Doug explained and Lane shrugged.

"You can't force a time schedule on a horse. Some horses just learn faster than others." He stayed and watched as Doug lunged the colt and pleased with how the colt responded to lunging, flashed Doug a thumbs up and headed to the stables.

"Lane! You and Doug figure out what's wrong with that colt?" He glanced up to see Eli heading his way, and shrugged.

"We both just figured he needs more work on the ground. Doug's going to work him for a couple more weeks and try again."

"He's had more than enough work on the ground." Lane watched as Eli frowned and shook his head. "No I think he's just no good." Something burned in Lane at those words and he looked sharply at his boss.

"Give him more time and patience and I guarantee he'll be the best horse on the ranch." His words came out a bit more sharply than he meant them too and Eli looked him over.

"Alright if you say so. We aren't made of time and patience on this ranch though." At that Lane cracked a grin.

"You mean you aren't." He jabbed back and watched as his boss chuckled and shook his head.