The First Chapter

Disclaimer:  I'm currently revising this and it's undergoing quite a few changes. Thanks for reading! Please let me know if you have suggestions, requests, or comment on your favorite parts :)

There was a boy in her room.

Calm down, it's not like this is an all-girl's school, Cath reassured herself.  But this is a girl's dorm.

Cath didn't even know her roommate's name yet.  She didn't know anything about this place, other than that it smelled slightly burnt in her room, like someone had singed their hair. Perhaps a flat iron incident. Or maybe a spell misfire.

* * * * *

"Cath, these are supposed to be the best years of our lives," Wren had said, grabbing Cath's hand and clasping it in her own.  "How are we supposed to enjoy this if we don't separate from each other a little bit?"

Cath stared at the hard wood floor of their kitchen.  "We've always been together.  You can't just suddenly up and leave me alone and expect me to be okay with it."

"College is about new experiences, Cath.  It's about meeting new people and trying new things."

"Yeah, like underage drinking and nicotine addictions."

Wren shot her a peeved look.

"At least I actually go to parties.  And get invited to them."

"You know parties aren't my scene. It's not like I care," Cath retorted. She continued staring at the wood grain of the floor.  It was old and worn, and the last time the floor had been waxed was probably while Cath and Wren were still using sippy cups. 

Wren stared up at the wall for a few seconds before responding. Cath's hair drooped into her face, and Wren tucked it behind her ear.  "Cath, socializing is good for you.  You're too introverted."

"Introversion isn't a fault, Wren."  Cath always got annoyed when Wren said stuff like that.  Introverts in movies always become extroverted as part of their character development. Oh look at me, I'm astonishingly beautiful when I take off my glasses. Thanks for the lip gloss. I'm going to go shock everyone by sitting at the popular table now.

"Whatever," Wren sighed.  "But I'm doing what's best for you.  I can't be with you for forever.  What do you expect me to do when you find someone you love, or get married?  Do you expect me to move in and live down the hall from you and your husband?"

"That would be nice," Cath admitted.

Wren scoffed. "Okay, well what about when I want to get married?  What if my husband doesn't want my twin sister living with us?"

"Then find someone who will accept the total package." Cath said, looking up from the hard wood.  She made eye contact with Wren.  Wren's eyes were full of  emotions that Cath couldn't identify.  Longing, maybe.  Sadness. Confusion. Frustration.  Wren squeezed Cath's hand.

"Then maybe we shouldn't be a package deal anymore."

Cath's eyes stung.  She pushed up her glasses and looked back down at the floor.  She fought the urge to cry.  She didn't usually cry this much, but lately  she was crying three times as much as usual. Before, crying had been reserved for writer's block, sad movies, or breakups.  Well, Wren's breakups.  Cath had never broken up with anybody.  She resisted the urge to sniffle, because then her cover would be blown.  Her cover was probably already blown.