Chapter 24: Baby Steps

Draco had been helping his father financially. Lucius came to see his wife once a week, disguised as him of course. Draco could tell he really cared. At least for her. And Narcissa seemed more happy and calmed but she wanted more than anything to go home. 

But Draco had been keeping secrets from them. For startes, the fact that he was part of Dumbledore's Army. The Malfoys would never imagine such thing. Also the fact that he had bloody kissed Harry Potter. He had a crush on him since Hogwarts. Draco was too stubborn to admit that he fancied St. Pottah. So he tried denying it to others and specially himself. Then Draco left to Switzerland and he honestly thought he forgot about Potter. But then he was back and him and Potter became kind of friends and were close. And all Draco's feelings came back. But Draco was sure Bloody Potter didn't liked him back. 

Now Draco was surely in trouble. His father would eventually find out about his little adventure with Dumbledore's Army. Draco was sure many of his father's former friends saw him today. Mr. Weasley did, the event will obviously be posted on The Daily Phophet. But Draco didn't care anymore. He was tired if being a bloody poppet. He was tired of everyone judging him for his name. He wanted to be different, to be good. 

Draco didn't know why Kingsley called him into his office with the Golden Trio. They were the important ones, not him. Perhaps he was in trouble or something. As he always was. 

"Well sit down" the Minister said taking his own chair. 

"Kingsley are you angry with us?" Hermione asked all of the sudden.

He responded laughing "Of course not. That was amazing... I didn't know Dumbledore's Army was back"

Draco didn't dare to speak.

"Yeah, kind of. A different version" Weasley said looking at Draco. The Minister looked at him as well. Draco tried not to be embarrassed. 

"I see that...." Kingsley said "I got to say I am proud of you" he smiled looking at the other three "And I'm pretty sure Dumbledore would be too. Well done"

"It was actually Harry's doing. We just followed" Hermione said

Potter blushed which made him look adorable through Malfoy's eyes. He tried to look away.

"Well it wasn't like that Hermione. We all worked on ideas .."

"Stop being modest mate" Weasley commented.

"Anyway" Potter tried to change the subject "I ment what I said Kingsley. About those changes?" 

The Minister wasn't angry. In fact he smiled politely

"Of course" he sighed "Actually I wanted to apologize. I haven't been the Minister Dumbledore would've expected. I haven't done anything on his honour"

"Don't say that!" Potter protested "You have done plenty. I'm really sure of it"

"I've tried Harry. But once you are in the position lots of compromises, responsabities and duties crossed in your time" he shook his head "I'm pretty sure there are people more capable than me"

"Oh sod off Kingsley. You are the best Minister so far" Weasley said "Even my dad says so. He is very happy with you"

Shacklebolt smiled "Thank you Ron"

"Maybe we can help you" Hermione said "It would be great to have more brains and wands willing for change in the operation"

"That's exactly what I was about to say, Hermione" he continued "You have a nice position here. But I would need you too. Ron, Harry..."