Chapter Two - E

Elsie woke up with her covers wrapped securely around her, her hair sticking to the sweat on her head.  Her childhood room looked different but felt the same as if She has never left. She stretched thoroughly before sliding into shorts and heading out her room. Shutting the door behind her, she padded over to the bathroom. The door swung open as she reached for the knob, frightening her slightly.

Elsie stepped back as a guy emerged from the bathroom, his eyes widening as they locked on hers. He had dark hair that was messy atop his head, tannish skin and pink lips that were nice and plump, he dressed in a simple tee shirt with black faded jeans. He looked strong and tall as he moved his hand from the door.

"I'm Jack." He spoke, introducing himself, still looking slightly confused.

Elsie blushed, looking from him to the ground and pushed a hair from her face. "I'm Elsie, Nate's sister."

"Of course you are." his dark eyes set on her. She realized then that it looked like she didn't have on pants and slid past him.

"Well it was nice to meet you, Jack. I'll see you around." She opened the bathroom door and stepped inside.

Jack walked back, completely confused, to Nate's room. Nate sat focused on his game, his fingers quickly moved on the controller. Jack shut the door behind himself, taking his seat on the bed next to Nate.
"Nate, you didn't tell me you had a sister." Jack finally broke the silence.

Nate's fingers froze, then slowly he set his controller down, taking a breath. "Yeah, I did that on purpose." He confessed.

"Oh..." Jack didn't question it. "She seems cool."

"She is, man, alright." Nate dismissed the conversation, picking up his controller. Jack didn't press, obviously it wasn't Nate's favorite topic.

Elsie moved her ear from his door, backing away slowly. So Nate was really hiding her, just like their mom and dad. They hadn't went out for dinner and when she asked to help run errands, it was always a; "No, but thank you." Now she could feel her cheeks getting warmer as she blushed, filled with embarrassment. She couldn't understand this family, they might as well have left her locked in grandma's house in Florida.

Feeling betrayed, Elsie got dressed, slipping on a jacket and jeans. She grabbed Nate's car keys and left him a note saying she borrowed it. She rode out to downtown, Googling some shops around town that needed employees.

She didn't feel much needed at home so she'd find a place that could distract her, and help her make friends. Her first stop was an old used library, almost immediately she fell in love with the smell of the old books and retro set up. She browsed a few sections before slipping to the front where an older lady stood. Her blonde hair was pinned back with a pencil sticking from the bun, her eyes focused on the computer screen which lit up her glasses.

Her head whipped up as Elsie approached. "Oh hello, sorry." she let her glasses fall from her nose.

"Hi, I'm looking for a job." Elsie told her, placing her hands on the counter.

"A-a job here, in the library?" The lady said, almost confused.

"Yes, I mean. If you have any open places." Elsie shrugged, blushing a bit.

"We actually have all open places, I work alone here. Usually kids don't exactly want to work at the library, apparently its boring." She smiled, wrinkles appearing by her eyes.

"Oh." Elsie bit her bottom lip. "I'm Elsie."

"Christine." She held out her hand to her. "How come I've never seen you around here?"