Chapter Four - E

Although the book store was basically always vacant, Elsie was always finding ways to busy herself. Whether it was organizing books over and over, reading, or avoiding conversation with Jack. She was pooped after each shift. This time around, she was dusting a worn copy of It by Stephen King and somehow Jack shimmied her way without notice.

"Is it always going to be this hard getting your attention or will i get a break time again?" he leans against the very unstable shelf, correcting himself when Elsie gives it a nervous glare. Jack was a mystery that Elsie craved to discover but figured it wasn't worth her time. "Well, while we have this conversation, I must admit I will not give up." he says after seconds of no reply, pursing his lips.

She simply scanned the book though she could revise the first two chapters from the top of her head, not looking up into the eyes of the gorgeous, desperate guy. His hands were stuffed in his pockets from what she could see, head low in embarrassment. She felt a tad bit remorseful for him, not used to the undeniable attraction between the two angst filled teens. Not used to the obvious admiration the boy had for her.

"Listen, Elsie, I don't know what the hell Nate or Sam told you about me but I promise that whatever it is; I'll prove it wrong. I just need a chance at least." Jack's voice was low but his words were loud and vibrant to her.

Nate might've said a few things about the boy but Sam made it clear he was a good person. Her timid behavior came from her past, which he had no clue about, which she would have to explain if they were ever to become involved. It was too dangerous for her. 'You can avoid the pain others will bring by simply avoiding them completely.' Was once told to her by her mother.

Her mother had done a lot to cause the obvious gap in her life but Elsie only saw it as protection, protection from how life would've been in those few years she was forced to deal with her sins.
Slowly, Elsie stared up at Jack, his eyes low and brows forward, plump lips just barely a frown.  She couldn't live by her mother's fears anymore.

"And if that chance was given to you, what would you do with it?" she spoke softly.

Jack's reaction is slow and hopeful, he smiles lightly down at her.
"I would take you out, prove I'm a gentleman. Maybe someplace fun like mini golfing or- i don't know-the central lake, a picnic. Make you laugh, make you smile, possibly make you actually like me."

Elsie's laugh travels through the small building. "See! I'm already half way there." he bites his lip, holding back his full smile and her eyes are immediately glued.

Forcing herself to look away, "it's not that I don't like you Jack, I-i'm just not like other girls around here."

"And I like that, I really do. When I saw you looking like an absolute angel that morning, I thought; what the fuck, who is this girl? I literally needed to know more about you, I need to...difference is refreshing." he tells her, pushing a hand through his hair. She stood still, taking a deep breath.

"It's not that simple, Jack. I really wish it was. I really wish I could reach even half the amount of interest you've given me. I find things like sunsets and puppies interesting. I find books fun, I-"

"Enough, give me your phone right now." he chuckles, holding a finger out to her, and then holds out his palm. "Right now, sweets."

Holding in her girlish giggles, she reaches for her phone and sets it in his palm, their eye contact never faltering till she nervously blushes and watches the floor.