Chapter Seven - N

Matthew and Nate sat in Matthew's bedroom filling each other in with their recent lives, the party still thumping outside the room. Nate breaking up nugs as Matthew paced the floor to his side. Nate peered up from his hands, raising his brows at his friend.

"Man, what the fucks up with you?" He finally asks, watching his friend uncomfortably stand still, gripping his chin.

"I've got a lot on my mind...look if I tell you, you can't say shit to anyone. Okay?" His friend puts one foot forward and looks him in the eye. Nate nods, assuring his friend that he'll respect his words.

"I-I think I'm going to propose to Natalie, soon not now but like really soon." He says, Nate's eyes widen in surprise, that was not what he expected at all.

"I think that's awesome. You guys have been friends and lovers for so long, you're financially stable, you're happy." Nate continued to roll as he spoke.

"I'm ready, Nate. Everything inside of me is ready, yet I've been hesitating for months." Matthew explains. "Why would I be unsure of this if I'm ready?"

Nate sparked up the Backwood and pursed his lips in thought as he watched his anxious friend with such confusion in his eyes. "I think hesitation is part of the process, Matt. You can't just rush into things, it's good that you're giving it thought."

Matthew nodded, smiling as he grabbed the wood from Nate. "You're right, I've been so stuck in my head about it. But I know this is the woman I'll be with forever, I know she's my wife."

Nate felt pleased that he could help Matthew with something so important. In Nate's opinion, he'd never be a big marriage person. He recalled every marriage he ever favored failing. He knew his parents were still together because it simplifies things, not because they'r happy.

"I support you, and I know everyone else will support you just as much. She's definitely going to say yes." He tells his friend, reassuring him that things would be okay.

 They were a few years older than Nate, in a good place in life, and madly in love. Nate remembers envying the idea of their relationship for most his high school career. Matthew supported every sport Natalie took on and Natalie was at every art show he had.

He only dreamed of that type of lover for himself.

-

Nate was comfortable in the familiar atmosphere but could tell Lila was unsure as she stood on her tiptoes in search of her childhood friend. It had only been an hour in an Elsie was scooped into the Natalie tour, which Nat waited very long for and Nate knew not to interrupt.

Lila seems to give up, huffing and gulping down the remainder of her beer. "Want another drink?" she asks, he nods but joins her as she heads toward the bar. Nate could remember too many nights in this house, leaving early mornings to make it home before noon, waking up next to unrecognizable girls who he'd never sleep with if there wasn't alcohol involved.

The two slip over to an open seat, which he gives to Lila and stands next to her. The marble counter is cold against his forearm but the alcohol already present has his body warm all over. He reminds himself how good Lila looks in her jeans, which fit perfectly against every dip and curve.

"At least try to make it less noticeable." she comments on his stares and Nate looks away.

"I can't help myself, the only other memories I have of you are braces and dolls." he jokes, she doesn't laugh but she smiles lightly.