Lion Cubs

After the Yule Ball, things were ridiculously easy between Minerva and Albus. It was as if the head over heels wedding had just made their problems disappear. Almost too easy, too perfect. Deep down, Mina knew that this first phase of wedded bliss would last forever, that the rose tinted glasses would come off sooner or later, but for now, she just wanted to enjoy it while it lasted.
So she didn't address Albus' aprupt departure and he didn't seem keen on talking about it either. After all, Christmas was coming and for the first time ever since... the incident he was actually looking forward to it. And there was still so much to do and prepare to make this a memorable celebration. Albus was absolutely determined that his wife should only have the very best.

There was also a lot to do at school before celebrating their first Christmas as a married couple. Monday was the day the students were scheduled to travel home, except for a few of the older ones who had opted to stay at the castle and prepare for their exams. Mina would be chaperoning the group travelling on the Hogwarts Express, not that it was necessary, but she had a personal agenda. She knew for a fact that Eleonora would be picked up by her father and she hoped to catch him alone and talk some sense into him. So far so good.
She hadn't exactly told Albus why she wanted to chaperone the Hogwarts Express, but the best thing about him was that he trusted her, no questions asked. Mina appreciated the trust he placed in her, but she felt a little bad for possibly causing trouble. But it was for a good cause, after all Eleonora had a right to a loving home, didn't she? And especially at Christmas. She wouldn't let this little girl return to a place where she wouldn't feel welcome.
However, this wasn't the only thing that kept her busy, there was also the question of what to give Albus for Christmas. Mina had no idea, simply because he seemed to have everything. At least twice.
He had the most intricate instruments, old books, new books, rare books, unique artifacts, peculiar furniture, ten different chess sets, more lemon drops than Honeyduke's, luxurious robes, it was infuriating. There was just nothing left to give to him that would do the occasion of their first Christmas together justice. And to make matters worse, ever since the Yule Ball he had this smug grin and kept teasing about having the perfect Christmas gift for her. He wouldn't even give her a hint, he just kept playing mind games, it drove her mad. And the perfect gift for just wouldn't materialise.
After a not very successful trip to London she sat down in her office and stared at the wall. Why was he so difficult to buy for?
Then it finally dawned on Mina. Maybe buying wasn't the right way to get him a gift. Maybe, she would have to go down a different path.
Minerva got up so quickly that she almost tipped over her chair. Of course.

Now she knew exactly what, or more importantly, who to get for him. She put on her coat and a thick scarf and traveled to the Isle of Wight, where she walked up to a lonely little cottage and knocked on the door. She didn't have to wait long for an answer.
"Minerva, of all people, what brings you here?" The witch who opened the door looked old and fragile, yet delighted to see her.
"Philomena. Long time no see." She hugged her former team leader from the auror force. "So much has happened since you... retired." Both witches giggled.
Back in the day, Philomena Barrington had been an auror and the team leader of Mina's unit. But she had grown tired of working for the Ministry of Magic, being trapped in a role that didn't allow her to speak her mind and being chased by various enemies while losing way too many loved ones on the way.
With Mina's help, Philomena had faked her own death and moved to a secluded cottage on the Isle of Wight. Her "retirement" had not only facilitated Minerva's comet-like rise in the Ministry but had also allowed Philomena to pursue what she had perceived her one true calling. She was now breeding phoenixes, selling them all over the world under a fake name and that was what Mina had come for.
"Well, come in then, and tell me, is that a ring I spy on your left hand?" Philomena led Minerva into her living room and poured her a cup of tea.
"It is. Merlin, there's no chance of hiding anything from you, is there?"
"No, I still got them old Auror eyes, but tell me, who is the lucky bastard?" Mina took a deep breath. She knew that Philomena could be brutal in her judgments, but that she always meant well.
"Albus Dumbledore. And he is kind of the reason I'm here."
"Dumbledore? Him? Minerva, you could do better." She chuckled. "But the heart wants what it wants, doesn't it. Merlin knows mine wanted Harold, but the Ministry wouldn't permit it." She shook her head. "Anyway, you said he is the reason you're here? What did he do? Do you need me to..."
"Nothing. I don't need our pact, but... Christmas is coming up and I have beem struggling to find the perfect gift for him. And in your last letter you told me about your newest brood and I thought..." Philomena's face lit up like it always did when talking about her birds. They were like children to her.
"Well, you came to the right place, sweetheart, because I do have a little phoenix chick that hasn't been claimed yet, he is the most adorable little man, you're going to love him."
Philomena gestured for Minerva to follow her into an enclosure in her garden. From a nest that seemed almost empty, she picked up a tiny bird that fit into the palm of her hand and screamed as soon as he felt the touch of her hands.
"Shhh, little one, today is your day. I promised that someone special would come to pick you up." She turned to Minerva and presented him. "He hasn't even had his first burn yet."
Mina was fascinated. The bird was perfect. His eyes looked like black opals, his tiny body was covered in the most mesmerising red and yellow feathers that shimmered in the cold winter sun, like some sort of liquid fire.
"Hello little one. Would you like to come with me and make my husband very happy?" The bird chirped in agreement. He seemed to understand every word that was being said.
"Well that's settled then. He has been so jealous of his siblings being adopted and him being left behind, but I kept telling him that there was someone special coming and turns out I was right." Philomena packed a bag of everything a phoenix would need and refused to take any payment.
"I still owe you one after you helped me... retire." She winked. "You better get this little guy home. And come back after the holidays with that husband of yours to tell me whole story."
They hugged and said goodbye. Mina travelled back to Hogwarts, where she settled the nameless little bird in her office.
"You'll be a good boy and wait here, okay? Christmas is in three days and I am sure that Albus will love you." The bird tilted his head and Minerva gave him a kiss on the beak. He snuggled up to her, his feathers were incredibly soft.
"He's going to love you and I love you already." She whispered to the little bird. Now, Minerva was sure that she had the perfect gift.