Performance Review

The term dragged on for Minerva, while she took great pleasure in teaching and the occasional late night flight, she couldn't make any progress with Albus. It was frustrating and by the end of November, Mina had more or less ran out of patience. Did he not see her? Or was he just not interested?

The first week of December was traditionally the time for performance reviews. Minerva's review was scheduled as the very last one, for  Thursday during lunch break, which was just as well. She dreaded being in a room with him, the man she wanted more than anything, while he didn't even notice how she felt.
Then, she had an idea. She could either sit in her office and yearn and make no progress at all, or she could make the first step at her performance review, which could either go well or terribly wrong. However, she still had a vial of Felix Felicis left. She'd take it before the review and then make her move.
If it was meant to be, he'd return her advances and if not, she wouldn't get into trouble. Or at least not a lot of trouble. It would also make her review go smoothly, which was a nice side effect.

Mina dressed nicely on Thursday, but not over the top, it was still a normal work day after all. She wore a white blouse and a skirt made of green silk that complimented her eyes.
The classes in the morning seemed to take forever that day. Then, finally, the last bell. The students rushed out of the room and Mina straightened her skirt. She took a deep breath, now or never.
Before going to her review, she downed the little bottle of potion. It made her feel a little warm and she knew it would be alright.

The stairs to the headmaster's office were steep and Minerva was a little out of breath when she arrived at the top. Albus was expecting her.
"Good afternoon, dear. It's good to see you." He smiled warmly and Mina's heart fluttered. "Come in."
In the office, she sat down by his desk and he seemed to look at her a little longer than usual but that might have been wishful thinking. Being in such close proximity to him made her weak in the knees and very glad that she was sitting. He smelled good and she could've drowned in the blue of his eyes.
The review went smoothly, even though Mina couldn't care less about what was being said. It was his voice that distracted her. She just nodded and agreed at the appropriate times. In the end he looked at her. She seemed a little distant, so he wanted to make sure she was happy. She was especially beautiful that day, and not being able to say something drove Albus nearly insane.
"Do you have any questions?" This was it, her time had come. Minerva cleared her throat and put on her most charming smile with just a littlebit of sadness in her eyes.
"How come you don't want me, Professor?" She asked, her voice not letting room for any misinterpretation.
"Excuse me?" He still didn't quite understand. Didn't dare to understand what he desperately wanted to hear. This couldn't be true. Was he dreaming? Mina rolled her eyes. Was he that slow? Wasn't Albus Dumbledore supposed to be a wise man? How couldn't he see what she had tried to show over the last few months?
"Oh you understood. I'm trying my best to flirt with you. Make you like me. Maybe even more. And you just ignore me. Am I really that unattractive?" She was frustrated. Exasperated. Everything was coming to light, over three months of bottled up feelings were spilling over.
His voice changed a little, he suddenly sounded out of breath and looked at her, like a deer in headlights but there was no way to escape the situation.
"Minerva..." He said her name as if it was a precious secret he wasn't worthy of. "You... I thought you were just being nice, I had no idea." This was real. Albus couldn't believe his luck. She wanted him? Him of all people? And she was so brave. A true Gryffindor. It was time for him to stop being a coward and confess his feelings.
"Minerva, the thing is I... I do want you. More than anything, anyone else and no matter what or how hard I tried, I couldn't stop thinking about you that way. There are in fact so many things I feel for you and so many more things I want, no, need to tell you but it's forbidden. It's inappropriate. I cannot have such an intelligent, beautiful young woman by my side..." He sounded incredibly sad now, so Mina stood up and interrupted him by pressing her lips on his. Why did he have to make things so dreadfully complicated? Why would he deny himself the chance to be happy? And more importantly, why didn't he think of her happiness?
Albus sighed and Minerva settled on his lap where he pulled her close.
"It's forbidden..." He whispered, but his actions were proof that he didn'treallycare anymore. "I want you, but I shouldn't, you have so much better prospects." Minerva pulled away and raised an eyebrow. Now he was just being ridiculous.
"Albus, stop being such a martyr for Merlin's sake. Have you ever considered that I might consider you my best prospect." She scolded him and kissed him again. Silly, silly man.
This time he kissed her back, a wave of passion overwhelmed the two of them. Mina was euphoric and she gave him a triumphant smile when they finally pulled away from each other, gasping for air.
"Isn't this wonderful?" She whispered. "Minerva, beautiful, you don't understand... I have all these feelings for you that would shock you. You'll be repulsed when you find out how much I want you, and what I want." Albus looked away.
"Again, have you considered that I might feel the same about you? Do you ever think further? Do you ever considerthe fact that there's another person in that equation and that this person adores you?" Minerva looked him in the eyes and shook her head, Albus gave her a dark, longing look which surprised her. So he did have feelings after all. Feelings that were all too human. Mina smiled innocently, this was a game for two.
"I could be all yours." She promised. "If you really want me, that is."
"I do, I really do want you. As I said, you have no idea." Albus stuttered, he was slightly overwhelmed.
"Then tell me..." Minerva teased and this was the last straw. His shields were down. She was so close, she had kissed him, his brain sensed a trap and screamed at him to get a grip, but his heart was louder and so he continued speaking. "I just want you to know that while I want you very badly right now, I also want you in other ways, please don't think I just want your body. I made the grave mistake of helplessly falling for you, mind, body and soul. Because you're incredible." It was Mina's turn to blush now.
"But why didn't you say something? We could have been happy together instead of torturing ourselves for months. We could have had all this, Albus. You and me."
"I didn't want to make a bad impression..." He blushed. "It's difficult when you are the headmaster. I am not supposed to have a favourite colleague."
"As if I could think badly of you. Now please, more kisses?" She tilted her head and Albus couldn't resist kissing her and letting his hands wander all over her back. Minerva returned the favour. The moment was magical and yet it had nothing to do with the kind of magic they worked on a day to day basis. This seemed like the ancient kind of magic that kept the cosmos going.
Suddenly, they heard the bell go and Mina sighed. Of course. Now that things were finally going her way.
"I have a class to teach. I need to go. Will you wait here for me?" She ran her thumb down his cheek.
"If that's your wish, of course. I'll be right here." Albus knew that he wouldn't be working that afternoon. She was all he could think of.
Minerva kissed him goodbye and straightened her clothes before rushing to class.