Chapter 8

"I'm sorry, ok," Belle's heart nearly jumped out of her skin not expecting Jackson to still be home the next morning when she entered the kitchen.
"Jesus," she mumbled to herself, holding her heart as Jackson stood there wearing a gorgeous fancy black suit and tie, finishing his coffee.
But he was too nervous with his head bowed down staring at an old scratch on the counter as he focused on trying to get the words out of his mouth. "I didn't mean to yell, you just startled me was all." He finally looked up at Belle as she gained control of her raging heart. Her stance was stiff with her arms folded over her chest and one hip jutted out. It stirred something in Jackson being mesmerized by the curves of her body but he knew now was not the right time.
"Will you forgive me?" he asked with a sulk drawn on his face. Even though he sounded sincere, she was ready to solidly stand her ground.
"No." Since last night's latest outburst by Jackson Mason, she had had enough. She knew she had to do something, but what exactly, she didn't know yet.
Not expecting her to first reject him physically but now reject his actual sincere apology, Jackson snapped again and turned to his familiar habits of anger.
"Fine! Be ready and looking nice. I have a potential client coming for dinner tonight." He slammed his coffee cup down on the counter and stormed out of his house for another irritating day at the office and Marcel peeping over his shoulder on every business move he makes.

Her thoughts on teaching Jackson a lesson hadn't left her mind since last night but she wasn't quite sure how to go about her plans. And now a potential client joining them for dinner made her wipe all the ideas clean and start over.
Flora arrived earlier than usual to prep for the dinner party.
"Mrs. Mason, any preference on the dinner for this evening?" Flora asked and it sparked an idea in her mind. With Jackson and her having not actually shared a meal together yet, she thought of a way to stump him.
"What is Jackson's favorite dish?" she asked out of curiosity but Flora seemed baffled.
"I don't know. He's never asked for anything specific before. I'm sorry, Mrs. Mason."
"That's ok, can you prepare a poultry dish for this evening and a side salad for me, please."
"Of course."
"Oh, and please call me Belle."

Belle stepped into her bedroom to get ready for evening. Curling her hair, wearing a nice black cocktail dress and channeling her vixen side with bold red lipstick. She continued plotting her plans in her mind. Kill him with kindness? Or...completely blow their marriage facade in front of the client? The second option was risky but something she was very much considering it as she finished looping her earnings, hearing a knock on the front door.

"Mr. Baudelaire," she said, finding herself in a déjà vu. Standing in a different doorway this time yet still just as surprised as last to see her landlord standing in front of her with a glowing smile on his face.
"Belle, I thought we had this talk already?"
"Yes, umm...Andre. I-I'm just surprised to see you here. You're Jackson's client?"
"Potential client, yes. I'm hoping we can work as partners together on a project."
"Oh, well come on in. Jackson's not home yet but can I get you something to drink? Whiskey? Scotch? Wine?"
"Just water is fine for now, Belle. Thank you." He followed her into the kitchen.
"You look beautiful Belle, and you're a married woman now," he said following her every move around the kitchen. From the kitchen cabinet to the refrigerator as she poured a glass of filtered water.
"It seems so," she replied, turning around to face him with his glass.
"I can't say I'm not jealous of Jackson for scooping you up. I think you know how I've always felt about you, Belle," Andre said as he stepped closer and pinched her chin in his grasp.
"What I wouldn't do to erase Jackson and make you mine," he whispered into her face with a stern glare that sent a shiver up her spine.
"Mr. Baudelaire. I see you've met my wife." They heard Jackson clear his throat and speak in a fiercely dominant tone.
"Indeed, I have had the pleasure of knowing Belle for some time," Andre replied pompously as he stepped away from her.
"Is that so." Jackson glared at Belle and she used it as her cue.
"Andre owns the building my father and I live in." Calling him by his first name, she saw the fire ignite in Jackson's eyes.
"Used to live in, my dear," Jackson corrected.
"Yes, well, shall we eat? Dinner is ready." She handed Andre his glass of water and began to make her way to the dining room, breezing past Jackson but he grabbed her arm and twirled her around. Pulling her into his chest, he rested his hand dangerously low on her back.
"Where's my kiss, my love?" She quickly pecked his lips and tried to peel his hands from her body but Jackson pulled her in closer and deepened the kiss. It was greedy and hungry as he nudged his tongue to break her seal but she pulled away.
"Dinner's getting cold," she said, breaking from his arms.
This was going to be her plan. Using Andres liking towards her and flirting back with him would put Jackson in his place. She realized Jackson needed her to keep the facade of a loving marriage or his reputation would be jeopardized. By the end of the night, she would have Jackson eating out of the palm of her hand.