Chapter 23

Reality hit Jackson full force. It was back to the grind with work obligations, dinner meetings, traveling to finalize prospective deals with clients. He hadn't had a moment to breathe and he missed Belle more than anything. He was hardly home for dinner, working late hours at the office trying to make the company right.
Before they left for Paris, Jackson had gotten word the towering skyscraper next to Mason Enterprises was under argument of ownership, and Jackson had assigned one of his workers to strike a deal and swoop in and take it. Thinking he would find some future use for it, but he just thought of the perfect idea. He hadn't told Belle about it yet wanting to surprise her and make the announcement at the gala to his company. He was short on time to get all arrangements to be able to break the news at the gala and he worked himself on fumes trying to get it all done in time.
From Belle's perspective though, things seemed glum. He had showered her with so much attention and love on their trip and showed her a world far superior to any fairytale she's ever read. Only to come back to reality and hardly ever see him. He never came home for dinner and never snuck into her bed at night. She worried herself she had only dreamt about the Jack from Paris.

It was the night of the gala. Jackson had left a note that morning for her with a single red rose stating he arranged a car to pick her up and take her to the gala. She wanted to cry that things felt more and more like just a contractual obligation. Maybe it was all in her head that he cared for her like she thought.
It wasn't until she received a delivery that changed her mind. A large gift box with the store label from Fauna's dress shop and a note on the outside stating,

I can't wait to see you shining in this tonight.
Yours,
Jack

When she opened the box it revealed the sparkling golden dress she saw at Fauna's store when she went shopping with him. She was surprised to find another note on the inside, this one somehow Belle knew it was from Fauna.

A flower never thinks of competing with the flower next to it.
It just blooms, my dear!

She continued getting ready with confidence until the car arrived and drove her into the city to the Mason Enterprises skyscraper. When she was here last, she was signing her life away on the bottom line of the contract and now she felt she was walking towards her life, towards Jack. She never realized on the ground level of the skyscraper was a large function hall. A grand ballroom with numerous golden chandeliers illuminating the richness and high-class society she was now involved in.

"Wooow!" he whispered under his taken breath the moment he saw her. She made her way through the crowd wearing the shimmering gold dress that emphasized every perfect curve of her body. The dress was low cut that plunged down her small but perfect breasts making his mouth water and the lack-of back to her dress landed just above her ass, which seemed like the perfect spot to rest his hand for the entirety of the night to showcase along with the giant rock that glistened on her small finger, that this spectacular woman was His!
"Wow!" He said again as she finally stood right in front of him. "You look...." he stuttered trying to find the words and he noticed the insecurity start to trickle over her face.
"Gorgeous doesn't even describe how beautiful you look." He gently took her hand in his and lifted it to his lips and he kissed her knuckles like a Prince.

"Shall we?" He kept up his gentlemanly manners and wrapped her arm around his and proceeded to walk into the gala as every guest greeted Jackson like royalty and stared skeptically at Belle.
"Well, if it isn't the handsome Jackson Mason!" A flirtatious blonde said, catching the attention of both of them. Belle right away recognized the blonde as the one she mistakenly walked in on Jackson with in his office. Without waiting for a response from Jack, the blonde pushed herself into him in a seductive hug placing her lips right by his ear.
"Shall we go somewhere private? Say your office upstairs like last time? Ten minutes?" She nibbled on his ear before he shoved her off.
"Excuse me! What the fuck is wrong with you?" He cursed at her, outraged, forming a tiny audience with his blaring voice.
"Oh, Jackson!" She brushed off his aggression, laughing it off and flipping her hair with her hand to not cause a scene.
"How dare you speak to me like that! And in front of my wife no less!"
"Jackson! Everyone knows the marriage is just a cover!"
"I am a married man! I made a vow and a commitment until death do us part! What part of that is a cover?" He spat through his teeth and shot daggers at her which kept her quiet.
"That's what I fucking thought! Now you owe my wife an apology!" He demanded again pulling Belle closer to his side and the blonde just rolled her eyes giving Belle a dirty look and it made Jackson's head explode in rage.
"SECURITY! Please escort Miss Veronica Swigg off the premises!"
"Jack!" Belle tried to reason with him grabbing his hand but he was already fuming.
"NO! She is no longer a guest at this gala!"
"Yes, Mr. Mason," the two bodyguards answered, hastily walking over to a disgruntled Melody now putting up a hissy fit.