Chapter 20 - We Can't Say Anything

Billy felt like the ground was spinning. He walked backwards to his couch and Bradley followed him, shutting the door behind himself. He guided Billy to the couch and sat down next to him.

"What do you mean you know who killed her?"

Bradley rolled his eyes at the question. "I mean exactly that. I know who killed her."

Billy nodded. "Who was it? How did you find out?"

"The day after you got in your accident, Denise had just dropped me off after me, her, Peter, and Sarah visited you-"

"Wait a minute—I thought you never visited me? And that was over a month ago? You've known for a month and didn't tell me—or anyone?"

"Look, I'm sorry I lied, but I can explain. This person, they have something on me and Denise. Something we did last year that could get us into a lot of trouble."

"How much trouble?"

Bradley gave a look that Billy seemed to understand. "Damn." Billy's expression was one of worry. "Bradley, who is it? Who killed Brenda?"

"...Dominic Anderson."

Billy's face went from a look of worry to a look of confusion. He only knew of Dominic as one of Bradley's friends. He'd only spoke to the boy the few times he was hanging out with Bradley. Questions poured into Billy's head. How did he know Brenda? What did Brenda do that made him do this? Was he the one that had been harassing him and his friends?

Bradley placed his hand on Billy's knee in an attempt to console him, but Billy quickly jerked away not wanting anything from him in that moment.

"Willy..."

"Don't call me that."

"I'm so sorry. I should have told you sooner, but I was just so worried that Dom would tell everything."

"Fuck him. You should have gone to the cops the second he told you. What he did to her? It was disgusting. When I sat in that cop conference room and they described how they found Brenda's body; I almost hurled my breakfast all over the table."

"I know-"

"Do you? Because if you knew you would have done the right thing. I'm not gonna make the same mistake. I'm going to the police station."

Billy made an attempt to stand up, but fatigue hit him right in the face causing him to fall back down.

"Billy, we can't say anything. Denise and I will go to prison."

Billy's eyes widened. "Prison?"

Bradley nodded. The look on Billy's face, trying to decipher what they might have done, hurt him. He placed his hand over his eyes and began rubbing his temples with his thumb and index finger.

"What did you guys do?"

Bradley sighed. "You have to ask Denise."

"Bradley, what the fuck? Why can't you tell me?"

"It's not my decision. What I say affects her more than me. God, I don't even know how Dom found out about it. We never told anyone."

"I didn't even know you and Denise knew each other. More lies, Bradley?"

"After that day we stopped hanging out with each other because we didn't want to risk it being linked to us."

"I'm gonna call her house and tell her to come back over. I want to know what's so bad that we can't turn Dominic in."

Bradley sighed in defeat.

Billy made another attempt to stand up, but once again fell victim to his injuries. Bradley helped him up and walked with him to Billy's house phone. Billy dialed Denise's house and was greeted by her mom. He made small talk before asking her to put Denise on the phone.