III

You looked out of one of the four big windows and stared at the rain. It was now early June and you were approaching your first month at the Ospedale della Pietà. Maria and the rest of the nuns were out doing church ties and their duties, so you had to watch them single handedly, but you didn't mind too much, they had been surprisingly good for you, and if you ever had to watch them alone, you got a day off where you were also paid, so it was a win-win deal for both parties.

You'd found work to be more enjoyable each passing day. The children had started to trust you and you'd often talk to them. You still felt new and out of place, but you'd become much more used to it. You heard the gentle rain falling down on the window panes and it was nice. Venice was nice at this in Summer when the wind would blow in from the east and it'd gently rain. You turned around every now and then to make sure the children weren't unruly, yet they were still as good as ever.

Bessima, one of your personal favorites, was playing with a doll and you smiled at her. Her little green eyes shone through the dreary day of rain and clouds. Your eyes were on something else though, something that had been occupying your mind for the past few weeks. You'd been thinking about a certain man, a very special man; Antonio Vivaldi.

You knew it was wrong to like him; he was a priest after all, and to be in love with one, or even to like one platonically was a sin. You knew it was wrong in every way but you couldn't help yourself from finding him attractive and kind. He had the habit of walking you home and talking about your days together. It was a nice way to end your day.

You would never tell him though or anyone. You didn't want to jeopardize his career as a priest, and you'd heard sad stories of women who had fallen in love and were left broken in a thousand little pieces, unable to be put back together. Still, you couldn't help but fantasize about him. He had such beautiful curly red hair with his long nose and tall, and thin figure. You knew he probably didn't feel the same though, and even if he did, you both knew not to mess up your jobs, especially after working so hard to achieve them, and anyway, there were plenty of other good men in Venice.

You would just be friends with him and leave it at that, no more, no less. And you were scared he wouldn't like you as a friend if you confessed your feelings. But, as you thought that you heard a girl yell and rushed off to calm down the situation. Two girls were fighting over a doll, so you helped make the compromise that they could take turns with it. After that, you walked around a bit to check on everyone and then sat down on a bench, watching them and thinking over trivial things. You thought of your time here and how you liked it here, it was nice to be around the girls and to talk to them.

You then heard a knock on the door and shot up. You wondered if the nuns were back, but you doubted that, they usually took a couple of hours at the least. You went up to the door and opened it slowly, just to be careful. There, outside the door you saw the red priest; Antonio Vivaldi. You smiled and beckoned him in.

"Hello, I wasn't expecting you to come up here to see me. Are you okay? Is anything wrong? If so, you can tell me." You asked him, wondering why he had come up to see you.

"Oh no my dear, I'm completely fine, great actually. I just wanted to tell you something somewhat private and personal." He said, looking into your eyes, the gentle rain accompanying the situation.

"Oh yeah, you can do that. I'm all ears for you. I have nothing better to do. I'll be off in about an hour." You said, now intrigued by what the red priest would tell you.

"Well, if you wouldn't mind, if you could meet me in the chapel up in the balcony? I have something to show you and I would really like you to see it. I also think you'll like it a lot." The red priest said, a little awkward in his posture and his tongue hitching on his words.