IV

You looked up from your book and saw the children. It was a quiet Friday for Ospedale della Pieta. You had taken the children outside today for them to get some fresh air. It was hot, but the breeze of the ocean kept you cool from the East.

It was right after lunch, and you had been put in charge of looking after all the girls. Most of them were running around playing tag or throwing around a ball. You were reading a book Antonio had leant you. It was a book about a composer and his life, which you were enjoying. You'd been seeing Antonio every day before you left for almost a month now. Most of the time you simply just talk to him for a few minutes, and he'd walk you home. You'd say your goodbyes and you know you'd see tomorrow, but tonight was going to be different.

You had Saturday off and so did Antonio, so you spoke with him and decided you two would spend the night together and all of Saturday. You didn't know what you'd do with him and you hadn't told your parents your plans, but you were excited to be with him without having to worry about anyone catching you with the red priest.

You had been very quiet about him, for you hadn't even told your closest friend, Anna, and you had no plans on telling her, you knew she would tell you to end the affair, and if you didn't, she would tell father Giuvan, and everything you had worked for would come tumbling down.

You knew and were aware it was wrong, that it was against the church and God, but you loved being with the red haired priest. As you were reading, Bessima came up to you and tapped on your knee. You looked up and smiled at the black haired, green eyed girl. As you put down your book, you asked her what she wanted and if she was okay.

"Where do you go after your day is done?" Sweet little Bessima asked you, her green eyes sparkling in the sun, and her black hair glistening. You were surprised by what she said, you didn't think most children her age thought that deep.

"Oh, nothing much. I usually just go home and have dinner with my parents. It's quite boring really." You told her, the cool June breeze going through Bessima's beautiful black hair, applying to her cuteness. You were sure Bessima would grow up to be a beautiful lady.

"Oh, I thought you did something more. I usually see you with the red priest. Why are you always with him at night?" She asked you. Your eyes winded and you gave her a nervous smile. Her question was perfectly fine, but it was somewhat funny and nerve-wracking to you.

"Oh him? The red priest? I'm just very good friends with him, that's all. He walks me home every night because it gets dark out sometimes and it's nice to talk to him. That's all, my sweet Bessima." You said, smiling, ruffling your grey dress and putting your hand on your knee.

"Okay, can I go now and play with my friends?" Bessima asked you and you nodded. You picked up your book again and started to read again. You weren't paying much attention to your surroundings, so when Maria came out, you at first didn't notice her. You sat up and got all your children in a line and walked them back into the building.

After taking them inside, it was time for dinner. You put the children in their seats and passed out dinner for them. You weren't very hungry so you sat down a little bit away from the nuns and watched the clock at the end of the room. You knew soon you'd see Antonio, for it was almost time to leave. You were looking down at the table not paying much attention, until someone was tapping on your shoulder and said your name.

You looked up and saw it was Antonio, your favorite and only red priest. You smiled, you didn't expect to see him this early. He sat down across from you and smiled, he was so happy to see his love.

"I wasn't expecting to see you this early. Did you get off early or did father Giuvan give you special permission?" You asked, smiling and laughing a bit. You looked over and Maria was staring at you, so you quickly made it seem like you were having a professional conversation.