❤☀️ Cherry Blossoms

This fic is the first of two parts! Scroll past this one and you can read the second.

Notes:
Ship(s) - Luke x Zander
Words - 1636

• • •

The breeze blew softly, moving leaves from bushes around, causing a rustling noise to penetrate the natural silence of the forest.

"C'mon, we're almost at the top!"
Zander struggled to keep up with Luke, as he climbed the somewhat steep side of the hill. The lack of a path made the trek harder, and his shorter frame wasn't helping.

Luke had already reached the top of the hill, and disappeared over the horizon.

"Wait!" Zander called out. He was close, but tired. He paused to catch his breath.
Climbing the rest of the way up, he made it to the top and almost wanted to collapse in exhaustion. Was he really that out of shape?
He then looked up, and stopped at the sight before him.

The hill overlooked a beautiful, still lake. The sunset glimmered over it's surface, magnifying it even more. Zander was caught by surprise, he barely remembered the place from when he was younger.

Every spring break, his and Luke's family would come spend their vacation at this lake at a lakehouse. Zander remembered how him and Luke would hang out at the lake and swim in it every day. But unfortunately, they hadn't been able to return for a while. This was Zander's first time here in years.

He was snapped out of his daze when someone called his name from behind him. Turning around, he saw something a few yards away he never thought he'd see. A tree, that had been planted years ago, had grown fully, and was looming high above his head. But it wasn't just any tree. The soft pink petals blooming from seemingly everywhere on the tree were swaying back and forth with the breeze. It was a cherry blossom tree.

Luke was crouched by the base of the tree, searching for something.
"Hey Zander, I need your help with something!" he said.
Zander walked over and knelt beside him. Luke was pointing at something etched into the wood, barely legible but still there.

"Remember during the spring break of 6th grade, which was our last summer here? My dad had given me his pocket knife and told me to go find a tree and etch my name in it." He said with a laugh.
"I remember dragging you here with me so we could find the perfect tree, and when we found this place, I knelt right here in the dirt and carved out the letter L right here..."

His fingers traced along a groove in the tree, and surely enough, there was the letter L. Glancing underneath it, Zander also noticed a letter Z carved in the wood.
"And I carved a Z right here..." he said, pointing at the letter.

"Yeah." Luke replied, and touched the letter engraved in the wood. His hand lingered there for a moment before he stood up and walked out to the edge of the hill. The breeze ruffled Luke's hair and clothes. Zander stared at his darkened frame, and looked at the ground, his face heating up.
Only recently had Zander come to terms about how he felt towards Luke. He had always pushed the feelings away, but now he knew... that he really was in love.

But, with all of the pushing away that he had done, Zander felt that there was little chance Luke felt the same way. So slowly, he'd been trying to bring their friendship closer. That might seem selfish, but he wanted Luke to be happy too.

Standing up, Zander walked over next to Luke, making sure he wasn't too close. The wind picked up a bit, causing the lake to stir. A bit of the winter chill was still lingering around, they were up on a higher elevation after all.
Zander couldn't help but look over at Luke. He was surprised to see the smile on his face. The fading light from the sun reflected against his gold eyes. Those eyes always seemed to make his heart melt.