❤🌧 Moonlight

This is the second part of Cherry Blossoms, scroll up to read it if you haven't already!

Notes:
Ship(s) - Luke x Zander
Angst -  Death within a dream, both witnessed and mentioned
Words - 1735

• • •

beep

"Please don't go…"

"I'm sorry…"

beep

"There's something I need to tell you.

I…."

~~~

Luke shot up from bed, shocked. His breathing was fast and hard. He gathered his bearings and looked around the room, wondering where he was. Soft pale moonlight filtered in through the blinds from the window next to the bed.

Suddenly, he remembered. He was on spring break vacation, with his and Zander's family. He and Zander had gone to the cherry tree just a few days ago. This was their last night there, they'd be leaving tomorrow. 

Luke checked the analog clock next to his bed. The time read 2:37 am. Well, technically they'd be leaving today.
He stared into the sheets in front of him for a moment, and slowly brought his hands to his face. 
He then realized that he was crying. Or, had been crying in his sleep. Dragging his fingers through his hair, he struggled to remember what his dream was, until it hit him like a speeding train. 

Everything was fine. The crisp autumn leaves were falling. Luke had been sitting on a bench in the middle of the park, a cold but satisfying breeze blowing leaves all around. He was waiting for someone.

Suddenly, that someone walked up to him. It was Zander, and he wanted to tell him something. 
Luke remembered, that even in the dream, he could feel his pulse pick up. But it slowed after seeing the sullen expression on his best friends face. Zander then told him something that made his heart drop.

He was sick. Really sick.
And there was a possibility he wouldn't be alive by the end of the year. 

So Luke spent every waking moment by Zander's side, laughing, talking and even crying, doing all sorts of fun things together. And when Zander got too weak to go outside, Luke sat by him in the hospital, telling him stories from their childhood and what their bandmates were up to.

Snow had been gently falling outside as the sun rose over the horizon through the frosted hospital window. Luke was sitting next to the bed, holding in his tears. He had made a promise that Zander wouldn't see him cry, not until he got better, or…

A pang of despair washed over him.
Meanwhile, Zander's pale purple eyes reflected the beautiful mix of red, gold and yellow outside. The beeping of the monitor was the only audible sound. 
Luke suddenly felt a cold hand slip into his. Zander was gripping it tight. 

"You were shaking…" he said. 
Luke met his eyes for the first time since he had sat beside him. He was surprised to see some sense of calm in his purple eyes. 

Luke let out a shuddering breath before saying, "Please don't go…"
"I'm sorry." Zander said, looking down at their entwined hands. 
The silence stretched on, and it was so quiet Luke swore he could hear the snow falling outside. He closed his eyes for a moment.

"There's something I need to tell you." Zander suddenly spoke up, his voice weak. 
Luke looked straight into his eyes, like if his life depended on it. 
"Yes?"
Zander closed his eyes.
"I…."