Back to Work

I woke up with the sun in my eyes and my head still on Reid's chest. I couldn't believe I was laying in bed, naked, with Spencer Reid's arms around me. His head was turned away from the window and his chin rested on the top of my head.

To avoid the awkward conversation that awaited me, I gently lifted his arm and snuck out from under it, making my way to the bathroom. I brushed my teeth and tentatively turned the shower on, hoping it wouldn't wake Spencer. I got in, closed my eyes, and let the hot water run over my body. My eyes still felt heavy and my skin cold from sleeping without a shirt. I washed my hair and body and stepped out of the shower, grabbing a towel and checking my phone. There was a message from JJ.

Case today. Be here ASAP.

I quickly dried off and shook the towel over my head, grabbing some black dress pants, and belt, and a button-up. I walked over to the bed, almost afraid to wake him up. Did waking him up mean we would have to talk about what this meant? There was no use in prolonging the inevitable. I sat on the bed and rubbed his arm. Touching him would never get old.

"Reid." I poked him. He was a deep sleeper. "Reid!"

He sprung awake, startled from my yell.

"Yes- sorry. What time is it?" He covered his waist with the sheet. I soothingly stroked his hair.

"It's okay, Reid. It's 7:45. We have a case. Do you need to shower?" He nodded.

"I'll be quick." He slowly moved off the bed and I gestured to the bathroom after he put his underwear back on. I threw him a towel and he spastically caught it, and then made his way to the shower. His phone rang. It was Morgan. I let it go to voicemail and looked at the text he left after.

Reid. I was in the neighborhood and thought I'd pick you up on my way into work. I'm knocking. Wake up, pretty boy.

I chuckled at his nickname and knocked on the bathroom door. "Reid, Morgan is at your apartment."

He poked his head out of the shower, his hair slicked back from the water.

"What?"

"Morgan says he thought he'd pick you up."

"Can you hand me the phone?" He reached his hand out from the shower curtain. I handed him the phone and he turned off the water.

"Hey, Morgan?" His nose scrunched up. It was adorable when he did that. "Yeah, I don't need a ride. Really, yeah, I'm good. See you there. Thank you."

His eyes widened as he tossed the phone back to me. I giggled. "Five minutes, pretty boy- we gotta go."

"You sound like Morgan," he said, rinsing the soap out of his hair. I threw his clothes in the bathroom and ate a banana while he dressed.

He came out of the bathroom, scanning the room for his bag. I held it out in front of me. "Here, genius."

He grinned and took it from me. Our eyes met, and his darted down and up, observing me. He leaned down and kissed me softly and slowly, one hand on the back of my neck.

"Good morning." He pulled away and smiled. He took out his phone and called for a cab.

This was a good kind of awkwardness- it was cute.

I called JJ as we got in the cab and told her I was on my way. Reid waited several minutes and then did the same; he had calculated the number of minutes it would take to reach the offices from his apartment if he left at that moment.

We walked in together, scanning the parking lot for our coworkers, making sure no one saw us get out of the cab together. I entered the bull pen and Reid walked behind me as we made our way to the round table. We sat down while JJ and Garcia were preparing the presentation.

"Reid, where were you this morning?" Morgan threw a sugar packet at him and smiled mischievously. "Long night?"

"I was getting groceries."

"At 7:00 in the morning?" The rest of the team glanced at Reid with soft smiles.

"Yes." He raised his eyebrows in a matter-of-fact way, and glanced down at his wrist.

"Where's your watch, then?" Morgan leaned forward as Reid discovered its absence. Reid's head tilted to the side.

"It's too big. It probably fell off this morning." He looked at me, the image of it sitting on the bathroom counter flashing in his mind.

"Sure, sure." Morgan smiled and looked at the door and Hotch entered, revealing our destination for the case: Stowe Mountain, New Hampshire.

"Okay, so- teeny, tiny town with little to no crime rate, until recently," Garcia began, clicking through the slides. I took a file from JJ and snuck a glance at Reid, speedily examining the pages already.

We quickly discussed the case and hopped on the jet. We analyzed the files throughout the plane ride, relaying data-mining requests to Garcia.

I sat next to Reid, my leg crossed towards him. I quickly recognized this subconscious mistake, but correcting it would be even more conspicuous. I peripherally saw Morgan glance at us and narrow his eyes.

Reid had fallen asleep against the window by the time we arrived. I gently nudged him, but it was ineffective.

"Step aside, Greenaway." Morgan moved over to us and pinched the sides of Reid's torso, evoking a high-pitched yelp. Reid grabbed his sides and angrily looked at at Morgan. "Wakey, wakey, kid. We're here." Reid glared and him and groggily stood up, putting his hand on my shoulder for support.

"Screw you." He grabbed his bag and started up the aisle. Morgan then looked at me, gesturing between me and the empty seat next to me.

"What's going on here?"

"What do you mean?" I gathered my things and stood up, walking after the rest of the team.

"You know, you know." He playfully punched me in the arm.

"Grow up. We're coworkers." I rolled my eyes and continued out of the plane, Morgan chuckling behind me.

"Then I think boy genius may have a bit a crush." I turned around, glared at him, and flattened my expression.

"I doubt it." I turned back around and smiled. Hopefully that would keep him at bay.