Chapter One

Never show weakness.

Weakness can be controlled and manipulated. It leaves you vulnerable to the mercy of the enemy; it'll kill you. But weakness is also a human facet that's ingrained into the mind. And it's a remembrance to humanity's mistakes and proof of the existence of humanity.

Someone told you weakness cannot be shed, but you can tether it and guard it with your ferocity.

And, they said, ferocity is precious.

Wear it like a crown of fangs.

Hold it as a gun, heavy and warm on the flesh of your hand.

"What did you do?"

All of a sudden, you feel the oppressive stare of RK900 pushing down on you. When once you can easily respond in kind, you now feel at a loss.

Control everything, even your weakest emotions.

And yet, you still lost control. You pulled the trigger too early, believing that you had won. After the explosion comes reality, the world shatters, bending forward until it's weight pushes you down onto your knees. The gun in your hand slips out and clatters onto the ground beside you - now just a deadweight. The ringing is loud and you're not sure if it's from the aftermath of the shooting or from your own mind. You cannot block out the noise no matter how close you press your palm to your ears. Suddenly, you have no idea where everything is anymore. All you can think about is the 'why's 'and the 'how's'.

"[Name]!" a familiar voice calls to you and you turn your gaze towards it, eyes watching with a pathetic plea for help. RK900's icy stare run chills down your spine, even more so when he's standing tall and looking down upon you like the wraith he is.

He crouches then, setting his gun beside him, his body blocking away the sight behind him as he takes your chin and tilts it up. The gesture is tender, if not for the blankness of his stare.

You sometimes forget he's incapable of the fundamental kindness humans have. Within his barren heart is just the life force that keeps him moving.

The void in his eyes stare back and you panic, reaching towards his wrist with both of your hands so you can wrap them around it.

He doesn't let go.

"Why did you shoot the hostage, [Name]?" he murmurs, but the venom in his words is clear. "You were supposed to save it and you failed." When you don't respond, he squeezes your chin and, out of instinct, you attempt to stand, almost falling to the ground before RK900 grabs your shoulders and pushes you down.

"Don't move," he says. "Just answer my question."

The flicker of emotion in his words terrifies you and it further reminds you of the catastrophe laid out in front.

"I-I lost control of myself—" you choke out, eyes following RK900's movement as he stands and walks toward the fallen android.

Time becomes still. The ocean doesn't smell like an ocean anymore as the scent of red and blue blood bloats the air. Even the gull birds' cries have been swept away by the chill of the aftermath. Shadow drapes over the cargos; the area you are in is illuminated by dim lights - the strongest of which is cast over the pile of bodies.

The only sound left is the click of his pristine shoes and your heart beating through your ear.

Your body falls forward, elbows keeping you from fully meeting the ground, as you watch him crouch down and take out the thirium pump. There are black wires still connecting it to the android before RK900 rips the pump away. You see the red LED light on the fallen android's temple blink rapidly until it goes blank.