5

C H A R L I E

"One chocolate pudding for you, and one more for you," I said, handing the kids their late-night snack. Usually, they wouldn't be allowed to do this, but this is a mini-vacation per se.

"Fuck," I hear Kate saying. The kids didn't call out Kate for swearing, so I'm assuming they didn't hear her say anything. She's lucky this rare time.

"Oh, hey," I said, pretending I didn't notice Kate's eyes rake over my body as I felt the beautiful blue orbs shamelessly remember every inch of me, feeling exposed in a safe way for she didn't make me uncomfortable because I welcome it. She makes me feel wanted, the way her ocean eyes light up and slightly widen when they look into mine. I know it's been a few days, but she's never looked more alive, and I've waited years for this. Kate took out her phone, placing it on a table nearby before sitting down by the pool, putting her feet in, still unaware I've caught her drooling like a girl staring at a girl for the first time.

"Mommy, get in with us," Anthony shouts, eating his pudding. Kate chuckled, politely declining as someone gave her a beer. It shouldn't be this hot watching someone take a swig of beer, but Kate does it effortlessly.

"My swimming days are over, guys," Kate said, coming up with a bullshit excuse.

"Is it because you're old?" Lily asked. Kate scoffed, offended, looking at me. I slapped my hand over my mouth, trying to stifle a laugh.

"Hey, thirty-five-years-old is not old. It's a little underaged from middle-aged," Kate said, looking away from me. I felt my smile drop before I sat down next to her.

"Your mother is perfect," I said to the kids, who shrugged and got back to eating their pudding as if they never cared.

"Thanks," Kate said, taking my hand in her hand. She looked at the kids before kissing my cheek.

"Did you guys have a good time?" Kate asked me, scooting a little closer to me. I looked at the kids again, and they are still distracted by their late-night snack.

"Yes, we did, but I wish you got in," I said to Kate as she chuckled.

"It could be fun! I'm sure Lily and Anthony would love to play with you in the pool," I said, lightly nudging Kate. She playfully rolled her eyes as I put myself back in the water. Kate rested her drink down as she ran her hands up and down her thighs. I took that opportunity to pull her in. I know she's in her clothes, but I've never seen her relax once in my life.

"Shit," Kate said, coming up for air.

"Swear, jar!" Lily and Anthony call-out at the same time. Kate looked at me with shock in her eyes. I giggled like an idiot before I felt Kate tackle me into the water. Coming up for air, it was my turn to look at Kate, shocked.

"Yeah, that's what you get," She joked. Two sets of hands grabbed onto Kate, yanking her down towards the shallow water.

"Yay! Mommy's in the water!" Lily cheers as Kate splashes the kids with water, making them scream as the lights glistened with excitement. I stood back and watched a mother finally spend time with her kids, who I know longed for this kind of maternal attention. She tries her best to give them the world, but life as a full time working adult who runs her own company doesn't allow for more than a weekend for a vacation. I wish I could say the same for Audrey, but I can't because if she genuinely cared about Kate and the kids, she'd be here. Sure, Kate said Audrey would be in Georgia, but after last night's and the day before fiasco with Audrey's phone record and a run-in with Clive, not to mention what the kids shared with their buddies on the playground at school, I highly doubt Audrey is off helping a trying couple salvage their marriage.