7

C H A R L I E

I continued my long walk back to Kate's penthouse, but now that I am left alone knowing she is divorcing Audrey, a part of me feels guilty. I know I have nothing to do with Kate's choice to leave Audrey, but knowing Kate has had feelings for me for who knows how long, I can't help but feel like I have a part in this. Still, for Kate to state her desire to divorce with a group of monsters who make a living off of gossip, unappreciated photos, and sticking their nose in other people's business tells me she's serious about this because I know she knows this will get out before the day is over.

I am prepared to hear a lengthy argument from Kate's point of view, but I do not want the kids to listen to their parents go to war, so I think I will call Tristian to see if I can join him. Dialing his number, I called him.

"Hey, Tristian, I have a question for you," I said, mentally preparing myself for the kids to call me the name they have given me.

"Hey, Charlie. Ready for the kids?" Tristian joked.

"Ha, very funny, but it's the opposite. I was wondering if you could pick me up. Something's happened, and I don't want to hear screaming that is sure to happen here in maybe less than ten minutes," I begged.

"Sure, I'll come and get you, but can you at least tell me what happened for some context?" Christian asked.

"You know how you said you'd love to hear when Kate says she'll divorce Audrey?" I asked. I heard Tristian chuckle from the other side as I grabbed my purse.

"Yes, why? Is she finally leaving that gold-digger?" Tristian sounds almost thrilled for his daughter to leave such a bitch.

"Let's just say you might get asked a few questions regarding your daughter's marital status," I said, trying to leave it at that.

"Okay, well, thank you for the heads up." I know Tristian has been dying to hear that more than one else; I don't blame him because I've been waiting too.

"And I will be downstairs more than ready to go before I watch the calmest person I know lose her shit," I said, leaving the penthouse again.

Tristian met me outside, and I happily climbed into his car.

"Madre!" The kids yelled. Tristian choked on his air as I pursed my lips. I knew that would happen, but I didn't expect the kids to say it immediately.

"Why are you guys calling Charlie that?" Tristian asked, driving away.

"Because she's like our third mommy!" Lily exclaimed. Tristian glanced at me, then my neck. He chuckled, turning his head back to the road.

"Have you been busy with that little number I saw last night splattered all over the place?" Tristian asked as I felt my face heat up. This is a highly inappropriate conversation to have with him. Given he is the only father figure I have, which is weird because he is the love of my life's dad.

"I am seeing her," I stated.

"Well, it's about time you got out there," Tristian said as he drove us to a mall.

"Yes, it is," I said, but Tristian does not understand I took what he said way out of context.

"Out of anyone to date, it's the woman Audrey fucking Chapman is terrified of," Tristian cursed, calling Audrey by her maiden name.

"Swear jaw!" Anthony called. Kate got her language from Tristian.

"You kids are like clockwork with that," Tristian sighed, pulling a twenty from his pocket.

"That will last for another nineteen times." Anthony snatched the twenty-dollar-bill from his grandfather's hands before stuffing it in his pocket. Lily looked up at us as if she were waiting for her money.