Chapter Two

DEVON

My wolf was threatening to go wild as I walked out of the room. He's been doing that a lot lately and I was starting to get annoyed. I could feel him on the surface ready to break out. We agreed on everything but I guess when it came to our mate we had different thought on how to handle the matter. He wants to cuddle her but I want to protect her by getting her to protect herself. I know I'm a cruel man but I do have a heart and as of lately it beats for her. She can never know about our connection until I'm sure she can protect herself. Until I'm sure she can handle herself. I know that makes me a coward but I know I can't protect her cause I have my demons and they promised to take everything I love. If ....No....When they find out I have a mate they will torture and kill her and I'll be defenseless against them. They did it to me once I won't let them do it again.   This girl stands for everything I could lose. I have to protect her from my demons, meanwhile maybe I can help her with hers.
Thomas Stone has always been a thorn in my side and now that he has started a revolt I will gladly put him down.
I still remember vividly how he showed up at my door with the girl's body declaring war. Centuries ago our ancestors used to do the same thing. They would kill one of their own and lay their dead body at their enemy's door as a way of disrespect. The sacrifice's life was a symbol of the war's outcome. The tradition was long abolished  since it was cruel and meaningless. Thomas did a huge mistake by trying to bring it back since it failed dismally. Noone though that the girl would live but I knew she would mainly because of the level ten warlock who was attending to her. Alec was the best and I trusted him. I knew he'd fix  her but not this soon.
All the training in the world would never have prepared me for meeting my mate. The same mate I was suppose to push beyond her limits, the same mate I yearned to touch and comfort, the same mate I couldn't care about for her safety.
I had gone to the room in an attempt to scare her maybe get a to hate me but I threw all that out the window when I layer my eyes on her. To say she was beautiful would be an understatement. When I threw the bed across the room, I was confronted by the beautiful creature. There  were still bruises on her face but she seemed to be glowing. Her short blue hair was tied at back of her head in a neat bun. Probably Tara's  doing. At that moment I'd wanted to pull out the band tying her hair and run my hands along her skull. She looked up at me her heart shaped face looking innocent. So many thought run through my mind most of them dirty. This surprised me because I was usually always in control.
"Hey ,"a voice came from behind me disturbing my trilainnof thought. I turned around and saw Alec walk into the room.
"What do you want ?" I said a little harsher than I intended.
"I want to know what crawled up your ass and died ,"he said. I would have punished a lesser man for talking to me like that but Alec was one of the few people I truly trusted.
"She's weak. That's what bothers me. I don't want her slowing us down,"I said without looking at him. If anyone were to find out that she was my mate, it would be Alec.
"When she recovers, you can start training her. You are the best," he said .
"That I am," I said to me a smile forming on my face."Anyways what do you want? Don't you have a patient to attend."
"Thats what I came to talk to you about," he said concern plastered across his face.
"Shoot," I said trying not to sound too eager.
"I found a lot of wolfsbane in her system ," he said.
"That shouldn't be that surprising seeing that they wanted to kill her." I said back
"It shouldn't then I find the essence of dragon rose."
I froze.
"Are you sure ?" I said .
"I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm right," he said.
"Then explain to me why she is still alive," I snapped at him.
"I don't know ,"
"What do you mean you don't know?"
"I mean exactly what I said."
"Don't be smart with me. Get me some answers. Understood." I commanded
"Yes sir ,"he said sarcastically before walking out the door.
Left alone with my thoughts , I began replaying what I knew. If what I thought was happening was happening, then she was in more danger than I had contemplated. She won't only be hunted by my demons but by everyone else as well.l had to keep her a secret. Noone except my sister ,my beta and Alec where there when Stone left her. This worked as an advantage.  I had to keep what I knew or at least what I thought I knew to myself. I'd let Alec find his own answers. I hoped though that I was wrong and Alec found a more sensible answer than what I thought.
I had to work fast to train her or else history would repeat itself and this time it would finally destroy me.